Date: 10/23/19 6:06 pm
From: <clearwater...>
Subject: [obol] Re: "Siberian" American Pipit records
As an addendum, "Siberian" Buff-bellied Pipits (using the nomenclature of Alström & Mild, 2003, calling them "American Pipits" seems inappropriate) are also quite variable, and there is overlap on the traits mentioned.

Alström & Mild note (p. 177) that "on rare occasions japonicus shows rather dark brown legs and rubescens pale legs. ... there is much individual variation in the prominence of the breast streaking in both japonicus and rubescens."

It may make sense to start scoring these birds on a range of traits, as we do with sapsuckers on the Yellow-bellied -- Red-naped continuum, rather than trying to assign them to one or the other subspecies with 100% confidence.