Date: 10/23/19 5:43 pm
From: <clearwater...>
Subject: [obol] Re: "Siberian" American Pipit records
Hi Alan, Trent, and all,

I just looked at Russ's photos. I agree with Alan that pipits are remarkably
variable. However the degree of contrast on Russ's bird surpasses anything
I've seen, in looking at thousands if not tens of thousands of pipits in the
Willamette Valley.

I wonder if we might be setting the bar too high, in the interests of
avoiding "Type I" errors.

Joel

I think Russ’s bird is one of the “not quite” birds that I have seen from time
to time. The legs are paler but not bright, the underparts are at least half
buffy, not much happening on the back. Pipits are remarkably variable.

Alan Contreras
acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx

POST: Send your post to <obol...>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>