Date: 10/23/19 2:54 pm
From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56...>
Subject: [obol] Re: "Siberian" American Pipit records
I think Russ’s bird is one of the “not quite” birds that I have seen from time to time. The legs are paler but not bright, the underparts are at least half buffy, not much happening on the back. Pipits are remarkably variable.

Alan Contreras
<acontrer56...>
Eugene, Oregon

www.alanlcontreras.com

Attending Christmas Bird Counts with good weather forecasts.

> On Oct 23, 2019, at 2:45 PM, (Redacted sender "avitours" for DMARC) <dmarc-noreply...> wrote:
>
> Colby, et al. -
>
> I would first like to congratulate Colby Neuman on his continued birding success in Multnomah County, Oregon, and his potential finding of a “Siberian” American Pipit. Like Colby, and many others, I too have combed through 1,000’s of American Pipits over the years in search of something a little different, and I have seen a few individuals with pale legs, others with darker streaks on lighter underparts, some with brighter edged tertials, or heavily streaked backs, but never individual birds with all of the field marks of Japonicus, like Colby’s bird. I have also poured over many on-line photos, and have perused a multitude of field guides regarding Pipits. So, with that said, I honestly can admit that I have absolutely zero first-hand experience with this “Siberian”subspecies. However, I do dislike being that person who comes out of the wood-work with some unfounded, contradictory information, but I think I may have another preceding potential Japonicus American Pipit record, with photos in my eBird editing queue. Yes … on September 20th, 2018, my friend, birding cohort, excellent observer, and photographer, Russ Morgan, of La Grande, Oregon submitted a report of this subspecies from Thief Valley Reservoir, Union County, Oregon. Now, I will briefly admit that I am normally hyper diligent on communicating with other eBirders on their flagged submissions, adjusting filters, and asking for help when I reach an impasse with tough photos or identification issues beyond my scope of expertise. Unfortunately, this record apparently slipped through the cracks in my mind. I guess with Colby’s recent sighting, it just seems more pertinent now than ever, to ask for some assistance, and get this record looked at by others with more wisdom in this arena. Russ Morgan's potential Japonicus eBird submission link with photos can be viewed here: https://ebird.org/checklist/S48639798
>
> Sincerely,
>
> - Trent
>
> Trent Bray
> La Grande, Oregon