Date: 10/23/19 2:11 pm
From: David Moon <dmoon...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Plum Island 10-23-2019
Sean Riley and I led Wednesday Morning Birding From Joppa Flats Education Center today. We watched the rain end from the lobby, then sunny/cloudy skies with moderate cool breeze ensued. The Main Panne has become a wonderful high tide roost! The birds are close and you can hear them vocalize. When the tide drops they are gone. The bittern at Hellcat performed beautifully. Note we have changed our trip to Cape Anne from 11/13 to 11/20. We will be back out as usual next Wednesday from Joppa.

Our list:
Mute Swan (3)
Mallard - common.
American Black Duck - common.
Northern Pintail (~ 40) Stage Island pool; 3, Bill Forward Pool (BFP); 35+.
Green-winged Teal (100's) BFP.
Common Eider (~ 30) Emmerson Rocks.
White-winged Scoter - common, scattered abundantly over ocean from parking lot #7 platform.
Black Scoter - see above.
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove
Black-bellied Plover (5) - pannes.
Semipalmated Plover (~30) - Main Panne.
Sanderling (1) - parking lot #7 beach.
Dunlin (~40) - Main Panne.
White-rumped Sandpiper (7) - Main Panne.
Semipalmated Sandpiper (5) - Main Panne.
Western Sandpiper (1) - Main Panne.
Greater Yellowlegs (~30) - various.
Ring-billed Gull (1) - parking lot #7 beach.
Herring Gull - common.
Great Black-backed Gull (2) - Parking lot #7 beach, North Marsh.
Common Loon (2) Emmerson Rocks.
Northern Gannet (~30) - Parking lot #7 ocean.
Double-crested Cormorant - common, many migrating skeins.
American Bittern (1) - Hellcat Dike in North Pool.
Great Blue Heron(1) - North Pool.
Great Egret (~15) - various.
Turkey Vulture (5) - various.
Red-tailed Hawk [1] - Pink House.
Merlin (1) - Hellcat parking lot.
Peregrine Falcon (2) - Nuke siren.
Blue Jay (~4) Hellcat parking lot.
American Crow (2) - Plum Island.
American Robin (3) - various.
Northern Mockingbird (2) - Plum Island.
European Starling - common.
Savannah Sparrow (1) - Wardens.
Nashville Warbler (1) - Wardens.
Yellow-rumped Warbler (2) - Wardens.

David Moon
Sanctuary Director
he/him/his
Joppa Flats Education Center
Mass Audubon
1 Plum Island Turnpike
Newburyport, MA 01950
978-462-9998
www.massaudubon.org/joppaflats<http://www.massaudubon.org/joppaflats>

You can't be suspicious of a tree, or accuse a bird or a squirrel of subversion or challenge the ideology of a violet. - Hal Borland

Mass Audubon: Protecting the Nature of Massachusetts. Please consider investing in the work of Joppa Flats by becoming a member<https://secure2.convio.net/mas/site/Donation2;jsessionid=00000000.app274b?df_id=4645&4645.donation=form1&NONCE_TOKEN=87DF451D09EB33BEFB7998B242B18605>. Thank you!

Join us on Facebook!