Date: 10/23/19 7:22 am
From: Bob Archer <rabican1...>
Subject: [obol] Re: “Siberian” American Pipit in Multnomah County
I have been watching for this subspecies for a number of years. I have had
a few close ones but none that I was confident about. There was a possible
one reported from down the valley about 5-6 years ago as well. I would like
to hear how the streaks appeared on underparts and if they were clearly
darker streaks than upperparts. Cool find.

Bob Archer

On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 9:25 PM Alan Contreras <acontrer56...> wrote:

> It has been at least 20 years since I have heard of any possibles. I’m not
> aware of any documentation. I assume that OBRC would want a report.
>
> Sometimes we get lucky but the data is too soft. About twenty years ago a
> whimbrel with a white rump went past me in wind at the Florence north
> jetty. That’s 100 percent of my data. Another time a femalic eider went by
> Boiler Bay with scoters at long range. I don’t think I reported it. It’s
> nice to have pics of the pipit.
>
> Alan Contreras
> Eugene, Oregon
>
> <acontrer56...>
>
> www.alanlcontreras.com
>

> On Oct 22, 2019, at 9:07 PM, Nicholas Mrvelj <nickmrvelj...> wrote:
>

> Thanks Alan. Do you happen to have any more information about those
> sightings off the top of your head? I ask out of personal curiosity. For a
> subspecies that may one day be split from American Pipit (Buff-bellied
> Pipit), I find it odd that it isn’t on the OBRC Review List pertaining to
> subspecies.
>
> Best,
> -Nick Mrvelj (Portland)
>
> On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 8:50 PM Alan Contreras <acontrer56...>
> wrote:
>
>> There have been reports of japonicus but I’m not sure there have been
>> photos.
>>
>> Alan Contreras
>> Eugene, Oregon
>>
>> <acontrer56...>
>>
>> www.alanlcontreras.com
>>

>> On Oct 22, 2019, at 8:47 PM, Nicholas Mrvelj <nickmrvelj...>
>> wrote:
>>

>> Birders - Colby Neuman continues his unbelievable run of finding
>> spectacular rarities in Multnomah County with the best of the lot, the
>> japonicus subspecies of American Pipit! See link below for photos and
>> details. As far as I can tell, this appears to be an Oregon first. Someone
>> more knowledgeable correct me if I’m wrong.
>>
>> https://ebird.org/checklist/S60856489
>>
>> Good Birding,
>> -Nick Mrvelj (Portland)

Join us on Facebook!