Date: 10/23/19 5:21 am
From: larspernorgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Slender-billed Nuthatches
Oaks are a total red herring as regards Slender-billed Nuthatch. It's habitat STRUCTURE that counts. But l'm probably casting pearls before swine. Over the years l have heard people reference occurrence of this or that bird species based on altitude. People constantly ask me "What elevation is species X fungus fruiting?" Throw your altimeter away. Slope aspect is vastly more significant than elevation. If you don't start looking for Canada Jays until 700m above sea level, l guarantee you will miss the thousands of Whiskeyjacks that spend their entire lives at 150m." A little learning is a dangerous thing. Drink deeply or taste not of the Pyrean Spring."(Goethe)   lpn  Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Steve Jaggers <sjaggers280...> Date: 10/22/19 8:55 PM (GMT-08:00) To: <tlove...> Cc: <obol...> Subject: [obol] Re: Slender-billed Nuthatches I have a very similar habitat (Firs and Maples) near the Willamette south of Milwaukie. There are Oaks around but not within a quarter mile or so as Tom's situation.W-B Nuthatches are regular most of the year at the feeders.Steve JaggersOn Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 4:17 PM Thomas Love <tlove...> wrote:

We have at least a pair if not two in our neighborhood (near Bridgeport Village in SE Wash Co). Tall doug-firs with good broadleaf maple subcanopy predominate. There are few oaks
of any species anywhere near here; I've not taken a census, but I don't think there are any Oregon white oaks - certainly no large ones, within at least a quarter mile. There is pretty nice mixed riparian, with ash, within 1/5 mile. I'll pay more attention
ahead.

Tom

Join us on Facebook!