Date: 10/23/19 2:22 am
From: Paul Sullivan <paultsullivan...>
Subject: [obol] some good birds in Yamhill county
Monday was the end of my third quarter-century. That morning on OBOL I saw
the Oregon Rare Bird Alert species summary for Sunday Oct 20. Dave Irons
had visited the Sheridan South Side Park and Fishing Pond and seen Surf
Scoters and Western Grebe. These species visits the ponds annually, but I
hadn't seen them yet this year, so I headed down there. It was Monday, and
I could get in with permission.

I was rewarded with sightings of three SURF SCOTERS and a WESTERN GREBE -
new for my county year list.

I also added BONAPART4E'S GULL, which was new for my Oregon State year list.
That sighting pushed my year list to 300, a mark I have hit all but three
years since 1985. (299 in 1987, 295 in 1988, 299 in 2003)

Then I found a RED-NECKED GREBE, a species that has only been reported in
Yamhill county four times. It was a county first for me. I was thrilled.

At the same time, Jim and Jeanette Scott found Yamhill county's first-ever
RED-BREASTED MERGAMSER at the Huddleston fishing pond in Willamina. It was
reported to eBird, but I didn't find out about it until after dark.

So I began my fourth quarter-century early Tuesday at the Willamina fishing
pond. It was a clear morning; the pond was like glass. I saw only 3
Pied-billed Grebes, a D-c Cormorant, and a Great Blue Heron. No merganser.
And no green heron, which I'm still looking for in Yamhill county this year.

More to come. ;-)

Paul Sullivan

Join us on Facebook!