Date: 10/23/19 12:24 am
From: Phil Davis <pdavis...>
Subject: [MDBirding] MD/DC Records Committee updates
Hi MD/DC birders:

We have posted updates to our MD/DC Records Committee (MD/DCRC) data
products on the committee's web pages, located on the MOS web site (https://mdbirds.org/
).

Data Product Updates. Updates posted, for both Maryland and the
District of Columbia, include the following:

* The MD and DC Official Lists (the species totals for these lists
remain at 453 and 341, respectively),

* The MD and DC Review Lists,

* Abridged versions of the committee's MD and DC databases, and

* A chronology of when species were added to the Official Lists of
MD and DC.

Data products are PDF documents. The Maryland documents are here ...

https://mdbirds.org/records-committee/maryland-bird-records/

... and the District of Columbia documents are here ...

https://mdbirds.org/records-committee/district-of-columbia-bird-records/

Taxonomy Changes. All MD/DCRC data products were updated to conform to
the latest taxonomy standard, the AOS North American Checklist 60th
Supplement, which was published in July. Only a few of the 40+ changes
directly affect our regional lists. Below is a summary:

1. White-winged Scoter Split. The Old World Asian taxon [Stejneger's
Scoter Melanitta stejnegeri] and the Old World European taxon [Velvet
Scoter M. fusca] were split from our North American species. Our North
American taxon retains the common name White-wing Scoter, however, the
scientific species name changes to Melanitta deglandi.

2. Common Ground Dove Name Change. Hypens were removed from the common
names of all Ground Doves, therefore, Columbina passerina is now
Common Ground Dove.

3. Storm-Petrel Genus Transfer. Some of our North Atlantic
Storm-Petrels were transferred into another genus. Leach's
Storm-Petrel is now Hydrobates leucorhoa and Band-rumped Storm-Petrel
is now Hydrobates castro.

4. Dark-eyed Junco Placement. This taxon was moved up from following
Spotted Towhee to now follow American Tree Sparrow.

5. White-crowned Sparrow Placement. This taxon was also moved up from
following Swamp Sparrow to now follow the newly moved Dark-eyed Junco.

6. Oreothlypis Warbler Genus Split. The genus of Oreothlypis warblers
was split and some were changed to Leiothlypis. Four of our species
are affected: Tennessee Warbler, Orange-crowned Warbler, Nashville
Warbler, and Virginia's Warbler. These species remain in the same
place, in the same order, but with the changed genus.

Thanks to the MOS Webmaster, Tom Strikwerda for posting these changes.

Phil

Phil Davis, Secretary
MD/DC Records Committee
2549 Vale Court