Date: 10/22/19 7:10 pm
From: <rriparia...> <rriparia...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Slender-billed nuthatches
In Oregon, there are two populations of White-breasted Nuthatches that can only be distinguished, to my understanding, by calls. The subspecies I believe that is referred to as using the oak woodland of Oregon, "aculeata" has  noticeably different vocalizations than the population found generally on the eastside of the Cascades, the "tenuissima" subspecies. Awareness of the vocalizations, and habitat preferences, will help distinguish these two populations.I am not aware that the White-breasted Nuthatch has actually been split, if it has been. But separation in the field is best done by listening to the birds since their plumage and structure are so similar.I've been recording White-breasted Nuthatch in the Klamath Basin for a number of years, partly in anticipation of a future split, but mostly because I enjoy paying attention to bird vocalizations. Both aculeata and tenuissima subspecies are found in the Klamath Basin. I have not yet found a location where both are present.Kevin
SpencerKlamath Falls, ORSent from my Verizon LG Smartphone------ Original message------From: Karen PaulinoDate: Tue, Oct 22, 2019 5:34 PMTo: <obol...>;Cc: Subject:[obol] Slender-billed nuthatchesIn the field, how does one differentiate a slender-billed nuthatch from a white-breasted nuthatch?POST: Send your post to <obol...>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!