Date: 10/22/19 3:13 pm
From: <clearwater...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Slender-billed Nh habitat / Luckiamute SNA
Lars & All,

Regarding Luckiamute State Natural Area, the younger plantings in the "Luckiamute Landing" tract that you're referring to were intentionally planted very densely to rapidly form a closed canopy. This is based on a "dense stems" concept pioneered in Oregon by Clean Water Services in the Hillsboro area, then picked up on by the Luckiamute Watershed Council when they hired a contractor (Peter Guillozet) who had worked at CWS.

The goal has more to do with long-term weed control and salmonid-related water temperature goals, than with producing something to approximate a "natural" bottomland forest. I can hunt up a paper that Peter co-authored, if you're interested (I think I sent it to JoseƩ Rousseau in the OSU banding group last year). Anyway, so far as Oregon-ash is concerned, establishing an ash-dominated tract of bottomland forest was never a major goal.

There are lots of big old Oregon-ash trees in the older tract of gallery forest, north and northeast of those young "dense-stems" plantings, where Red-eyed Vireos are typically found during nesting season. Over my past 21 years of involvement with LSNA, I've only rarely encountered Slender-billed Nuthatches in the interior parts of the older gallery forest. More often they're in the line of big old cottonwoods right along the Willamette River (two of which came down sometime in the past month). And *much* more often they're in the big old oaks just across the Luckiamute River, in the Baker Tract.

All the best,
Joel

Lars Norgren wrote:

I agree with Wayne that very big Oregon Ash support robust populations of this
taxon. I first noticed on Cedar Canyon Road west of Banks. They also frequent
very large, old cottonwood such as Willow Bar on the Columbia beach of Sauvie
Island(at the county line, mp 7) and Sandy Delta. Also Luckiamute Landing State
Natural Area. The last three spots have Red-eyed Vireo throughout the breeding
season as well. The structure of the canopy is probably the key, more than
species. Plenty of ash were planted at the Luckiamute restoration. But
they are already shaded out by more vigorous things like willow. I expect
Slender-billed Nuthatch are at Grand Island in Yamhill County where REVI seem
to be regular. Simple logistics mean public access to many potential sites
doesn't exist. Public roads avoid the floodplain, bridges over the main
Willamette are 15-20 miles apart.

--
Joel Geier
Camp Adair area north of Corvallis