Date: 10/22/19 2:40 pm
From: Harry Fuller <atowhee...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Slender-billed Nh habitat
Yes, WBNU are resident and breeding on Grand Island...and here in
McMinnville they inhabit the relict oak groves, e.g. the one at Michelbook
and 13th and the doomed one (bulldozers on their way for more housing) at
the north end of Pinot Noir. They are also along the creek at Yamhill
Sewer Ponds and Joe Dancer Park along the South Yamhill River and on
LInfield College campus next to Cozine Creek

On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 2:13 PM larspernorgren <larspernorgren...>
wrote:

> I agree with Wayne that very big Oregon Ash support robust populations of
> this taxon. I first noticed on Cedar Canyon Road west of Banks. They also
> frequent very large, old cottonwood such as Willow Bar on the Columbia
> beach of Sauvie Island(at the county line, mp 7) and Sandy Delta. Also
> Luckiamute Landing State Natural Area. The last three spots have Red-eyed
> Vireo throughout the breeding season as well. The structure of the canopy
> is probably the key, more than species.
> Plenty of ash were planted at the Luckiamute restoration. But they
> are already shaded out by more vigorous things like willow. I expect
> Slender-billed Nuthatch are at Grand Island in Yamhill County where REVI
> seem to be regular. Simple logistics mean public access to many potential
> sites doesn't exist. Public roads avoid the floodplain, bridges over the
> main Willamette are 15-20 miles apart.

Harry Fuller
author of: *San Francisco's Natural History: Sand Dunes to Streetcars:*
https://ecowise.wordpress.com/2017/04/20/sfnh/
author of *Great Gray Owls of CA-OR-WA*:
https://ecowise.wordpress.com/2015/05/08/the-great-gray-owl-book/
author of *Freeway Birding*: *freewaybirding.com
<http://freewaybirding.com>*
birding website: http://www.towhee.net
my birding blog: atowhee.wordpress.com

Join us on Facebook!