Date: 10/22/19 2:13 pm
From: larspernorgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Slender-billed Nh habitat
I agree with Wayne that very big Oregon Ash support robust populations of this taxon. I first noticed on Cedar Canyon Road west of Banks. They also frequent very large, old cottonwood such as Willow Bar on the Columbia  beach of Sauvie Island(at the county line, mp 7) and Sandy Delta. Also Luckiamute Landing State Natural Area. The last three spots have Red-eyed Vireo throughout the breeding season as well. The structure of the canopy is probably the key, more than species.        Plenty of ash were planted at the Luckiamute restoration. But they are already shaded out by more vigorous things like willow. I expect Slender-billed Nuthatch are at Grand Island in Yamhill County where REVI seem to be regular. Simple logistics mean public access to many potential sites doesn't exist. Public roads avoid the floodplain, bridges over the main Willamette are 15-20 miles apart.  Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

Join us on Facebook!