Date: 10/22/19 12:56 pm
From: <clearwater...>
Subject: [obol] Canada Jays in Mitchell?!!
In the latest batch of "eRBAs" I was surprised to see the late report of a Black-chinned Hummingbird, apparently still visiting a feeder in Mitchell.

I was even more surprised to see 6 Canada Jays on the checklist (though not flagged as rarities). All of this apparently from a 1-acre area in town.
[ https://ebird.org/checklist/S60834098 | https://ebird.org/checklist/S60834098 ]

I've spent a fair amount of time in southern Wheeler County, including many hours on the Oregon Breeding Bird Atlas (1999), plus running the Barnhouse Breeding Bird Survey (BBS) route for the past dozen or so years, and as compiler for the Antone CBC which includes a big chunk of southeast Wheeler County.

I've never seen Canada Jays outside of the upper elevations of the Ochoco Mountains -- usually up in the Doug-fir/lodgepole pine zone, once in a while wandering down into the ponderosas. On last year's Antone CBC, Tom Winters recorded our first ones for the count, up in the pine/Doug-fir zone above the Sheep Rock Unit of John Day Fossil Beds National Monument.

Mitchell is way down in the juniper/sagebrush zone. Is there something happening to push Canada Jays downslope this fall?

--
Joel Geier
Camp Adair area north of Corvallis

Join us on Facebook!