Date: 10/22/19 5:21 am
From: Shilo McDonald <shilocm...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] American Bittern, Rowley, 10/21/19
Okay, so picture this... While at Hellcat, you bump into your friend Carol, who's scoping the North Pool for the Sora found by Tom Wetmore earlier in the day. Happy to see you, she starts telling you a very important birding story. And that's when it happens... Through your binoculars, you catch a glimpse - just a glimpse - of a pair of brown night-heron sized flapping wings just before they disappear under the reeds of the North Pool channel. So, you do what anyone would do, while Carol is in mid-sentence, probably even mid-word, you quickly turn away and start running towards the tower. Haha! :-D
I will always remember that as the moment I became a true Birder. ;-) Sorry Carol!
The bird had vanished. But, I wasn't giving up so easily. I quickly walked down the dike. Carol caught up and asked, "What did you see?"Scanning the edges of the reeds with my bins, "I think I saw a Bittern.""Do you want to use my scope?"My gaze stopping on the bird, "No, I see it. I found an American Bittern!"
eBird report with photos and an audio file too:https://ebird.org/checklist/S60834763

Text only version underneath my signature.
Mr. Shilo McDonald, Lynn, MassachusettsShiloCM at Yahoo dot com
Never doubt that a small thoughtful group of committed citizens can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Parker River NWR, Essex, Massachusetts, US
Oct 21, 2019 7:17 AM - 12:50 PM
Protocol: Traveling
5.0 mile(s)
Comments:    Had a great time at Plum Island today. Bumped into Warren Tatro and Ava Streenstrup and Marjorie Watson. And finally met Dan Prima in person. Plus, I got to see my friend Carol too. And although I had a Life Bird, the Eurasian Wigeon was not today's highlight. While on the Hellcat Dike, I found an American Bittern! And it was close enough for my 200mm camera lens to capture pictures of it. :-)
50 species (+4 other taxa)

Canada Goose  10
Mute Swan  2    In the area of the Salt Pannes.
Northern Shoveler  2    Bill Forward Pool.
Eurasian Wigeon  1    First of Life! In the Salt Pannes. See photos.
American Wigeon  8    Salt Pannes.
Mallard  24
American Black Duck  40    Mostly in the Salt Pannes.
Northern Pintail  25    Bill Forward Pool.
Green-winged Teal  25    Bill Forward Pool.
Common Eider  10
White-winged Scoter  12    Ocean side of the Lot 2 parking lot.
Black Scoter  12    Ocean side of the Lot 6 parking lot.
duck sp.  200    In the Bill Forward Pool. Didn't ID them.
Mourning Dove  3
Black-bellied Plover  4    In the ocean side mud flats off the Stage Island Trail.
Semipalmated Plover  25    Salt Pannes.
Sanderling  12    Ocean side from the Lot 2 parking lot.
Dunlin  12
White-rumped Sandpiper  1    In the Sale Pannes.
Semipalmated Sandpiper  12    In the Salt Pannes.
Greater Yellowlegs  16    Seen in the Salt Pannes and while on the Stage Island Trail.
Ring-billed Gull  8
Herring Gull  12
Great Black-backed Gull  8
gull sp.  20    Various flybys. Didn't ID them.
Red-throated Loon  1    Seen twice. In the ocean off Lot 2 parking lot.
Northern Gannet  18    Seen oceanside from the Lot 2 and Lot 6 parking lots.
Double-crested Cormorant  10
American Bittern  1    I still can't believe I found this bird! See the photos!
Great Blue Heron  2
Great Egret  2
Turkey Vulture  2
Northern Harrier  2
Red-tailed Hawk  2
Downy Woodpecker  1    Heard only. While in the Hellcat parking lot.
Blue Jay  4
American Crow  2
Black-capped Chickadee  6    On the Stage Island Trail. And on the Lot 2 boardwalk.
Carolina Wren  1    Heard only. While in the Hellcat parking lot.
European Starling  5
Gray Catbird  1    Seen and heard.
Northern Mockingbird  1    Perched in a tree next to the Lot 6 parking lot.
American Robin  7
Cedar Waxwing  3    Heard only. Stage Island Trail.
House Finch  2
American Goldfinch  2
Vesper Sparrow  2    Seen and heard while on the Stage Island Trail. Flew from a bush/tree near the lookout platform, over me and the trail, all the way down to the hedgerow north side. Two Sparrows. Brown on top. Light underneath. White exterior tail feathers.
Song Sparrow  4    Stage Island Trail.
Swamp Sparrow  1    On the Stage Island Trail.
sparrow sp.  16    Heard, but never seen.
Common Grackle  2
blackbird sp.  26    Flock flew by, in the distance.
Yellow-rumped Warbler  2    One on Stage Island Trail. One on Lot 2 parking lot boardwalk.
Northern Cardinal  1

Join us on Facebook!