Date: 10/21/19 5:11 pm
From: Mike Patterson <celata...>
Subject: [obol] Re: "nobody's gone birding here" maps
Thanks to Paul for doing the ground work on these maps...

Just out of curiosity, I over-layed a map of ownership for land
in Clatsop County. Most of the County is privately owned by private
timber interests and is behind locked gates. Most of the non-birded
areas correspond closely with private timber properties.

We can get into some of these areas if we commit to a long hike or know
someone with a key, but they are, for the most part, tracts of
inaccessible clearcut forest which calls such efforts into question.

There are, of course, many unbirded areas in Oregon that are not
visited because they are out of the way or lack the reputation of
a place like Malheur or Boiler Bay or the South Jetty, but much of
Oregon is also unreachable.

I guess the trick, here, is to sort out the forlorned from the forbidding.

--
Mike Patterson
Astoria, OR

Join us on Facebook!