Date: 10/21/19 6:04 am
From: Teresa Hertzel <teresa.hertzel...>
Subject: [obol] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Oregon Rare Bird Alert
*** Species Summary:

Cackling Goose (Aleutian) (1 Washington)
Cackling Goose (1 Malheur)
Mandarin Duck (2 Clackamas)
Blue-winged Teal (1 Benton)
Greater Scaup (2 Wallowa)
Surf Scoter (1 Wallowa, 2 Wasco, 1 Yamhill)
White-winged Scoter (2 Multnomah)
Anna's Hummingbird (1 Wallowa)
Lesser Yellowlegs (1 Multnomah)
Franklin's Gull (1 Multnomah)
Herring Gull (1 Wallowa)
Pelagic Cormorant (3 Multnomah)
Great Egret (American) (1 Benton)
Red-shouldered Hawk (elegans) (1 Curry)
Rough-legged Hawk (1 Multnomah)
Lewis's Woodpecker (1 Benton)
Acorn Woodpecker (1 Klamath)
Fox Sparrow (Slate-colored) (1 Deschutes)
Fox Sparrow (1 Union)
Dark-eyed Junco (cismontanus) (1 Union)
Great-tailed Grackle (2 Malheur)

Cackling Goose (Aleutian) (Branta hutchinsii leucopareia) (5)
- Reported Oct 20, 2019 12:38 by David Irons
- 1911–2527 SW Lafollett Rd, Cornelius US-OR (45.5066,-123.0707),
Washington, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.506601,-123.070672&ll=45.506601,-123.070672
- Comments: "Distinctive boxy head shape, pronounced forecrowns, paler
breasts, broad white collars and slightly larger size noted."

Cackling Goose (Branta hutchinsii) (9)
- Reported Oct 20, 2019 16:30 by Vern Tunnell
- Antelope Reservoir, Malheur, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.9043251,-117.2354507&ll=42.9043251,-117.2354507
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "much smaller than regular Canada geese"

Mandarin Duck (Aix galericulata) (1)
- Reported Oct 20, 2019 10:00 by Kevin Wagoner
- Canby Community Park, Clackamas, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.250916,-122.704054&ll=45.250916,-122.704054
- Comments: "Next to wood ducks, 1 male"

Mandarin Duck (Aix galericulata) (1)
- Reported Oct 20, 2019 10:00 by Wren Zitzelberger
- Canby Community Park, Clackamas, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.250916,-122.704054&ll=45.250916,-122.704054
- Comments: "Next to wood ducks, 1 male"

Blue-winged Teal (Spatula discors) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 20, 2019 10:55 by Hendrik Herlyn
- Philomath Sewage Ponds, Benton, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.5201324,-123.3461237&ll=44.5201324,-123.3461237
- Comments: "Continuing females. Colder grayish-brown than CITE, pronounced
face pattern, large pale spot near base of bill, white eye arcs, slightly
smaller bill than CITE."

Greater Scaup (Aythya marila) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 20, 2019 12:05 by Mike Hansen
- Joseph Sewage Ponds (restricted access), Wallowa, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.3730226,-117.2189293&ll=45.3730226,-117.2189293
- Comments: "Continuing bird."

Greater Scaup (Aythya marila) (1)
- Reported Oct 18, 2019 10:38 by Kim Zumwalt
- Joseph Sewage Ponds (restricted access), Wallowa, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.3730226,-117.2189293&ll=45.3730226,-117.2189293
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Female scaup with rounded head shape. Same size as Barrow's
golden goldeneyes nearby. Photos to follow."

Surf Scoter (Melanitta perspicillata) (2)
- Reported Oct 20, 2019 08:30 by John Willis
- Historic Highway Trail (Wasco Co.), Wasco, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.6858263,-121.4121222&ll=45.6858263,-121.4121222
- Comments: "Observed white patches on head. ID made by Stuart Johnson."

Surf Scoter (Melanitta perspicillata) (2)
- Reported Oct 20, 2019 08:30 by CJ FLICK
- Historic Highway Trail (Wasco Co.), Wasco, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.6858263,-121.4121222&ll=45.6858263,-121.4121222
- Comments: "Observed white patches on head. ID made by Stuart Johnson."

Surf Scoter (Melanitta perspicillata) (2)
- Reported Oct 20, 2019 16:36 by David Irons
- Sheridan South Side Park and Fishing Pond, Yamhill, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.087649,-123.391419&ll=45.087649,-123.391419
- Comments: "Female/immatures. Largest ducks on the ponds. All dark, heavy
wedge-shaped dark bills, two pales sots on face."

Surf Scoter (Melanitta perspicillata) (19) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 20, 2019 12:28 by Mike Hansen
- Wallowa Lake, Wallowa, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.3095041,-117.2080326&ll=45.3095041,-117.2080326
- Comments: "They were resting near a raft of buffleheads and other
waterfowl. Trent Bray pointed them out to me. Dark ducks with white spot
visible on rear of head."

White-winged Scoter (Melanitta deglandi) (1)
- Reported Oct 20, 2019 15:27 by Nick Mrvelj
- Hayden Island--Columbia Point, Multnomah, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.6104025,-122.667591&ll=45.6104025,-122.667591
- Comments: "Continuing adult male. Separate from the SUSC raft, and
downstream toward the I-5 bridge. Loosely associating with 8 RUDU."

White-winged Scoter (Melanitta deglandi) (1)
- Reported Oct 20, 2019 12:00 by Ezra Cohen
- Hayden Island--Columbia Point, Multnomah, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.6104025,-122.667591&ll=45.6104025,-122.667591
- Comments: "Seen in small separate flock of SUSCs. White slash through eye
was apparent unlike in SUSCs."

Anna's Hummingbird (Calypte anna) (4)
- Reported Oct 20, 2019 07:00 by Scott O'Donnell
- Speywater Lodge, Wallowa, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.9400237,-117.4504238&ll=45.9400237,-117.4504238
- Comments: "Cont."

Lesser Yellowlegs (Tringa flavipes) (4)
- Reported Oct 20, 2019 08:10 by Ken Vanderkamp
- Smith and Bybee Lakes Wetlands Natural Area, Multnomah, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.6203,-122.7456&ll=45.6203,-122.7456
- Comments: "With the GRYEs. Easily separated by size."

Franklin's Gull (Leucophaeus pipixcan) (1)
- Reported Oct 20, 2019 12:00 by Ezra Cohen
- Hayden Island--Columbia Point, Multnomah, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.6104025,-122.667591&ll=45.6104025,-122.667591
- Comments: "I'm putting this as a Franklins Gull for now because Nick
Mrvelj reported one yesterday at Gazebo point and after doing some
research, the bird I saw seems to fit FRGU much better than Bonapartes
Gull. Immediately I noticed a spotty black hood on this bird and a thin but
not extremely thin bill. The mantle seemed lightish but the lighting was
not great. The underwings had dark tips and darkish trailing edges but my
view was very brief so I only noticed so dark areas on the upperwings
before it flew away."

Herring Gull (Larus argentatus) (1)
- Reported Oct 20, 2019 12:28 by Mike Hansen
- Wallowa Lake, Wallowa, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.3095041,-117.2080326&ll=45.3095041,-117.2080326
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Large gull with light eye, and pink legs. Photos to follow."

Pelagic Cormorant (Phalacrocorax pelagicus) (1)
- Reported Oct 20, 2019 11:30 by Ezra Cohen
- Hayden Island--Gazebo Point, Multnomah, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.6208525,-122.690582&ll=45.6208525,-122.690582
- Comments: "Continuing. Originally didn't see it but scanned and found
floating between the 2nd and 3rd pillars of the bridge to the South diving
frequently. Then flew and landed in front of near pilings. Smaller and
blacker then DCCO with thin straight bill, and small white spot at below
bill at base."

Pelagic Cormorant (Phalacrocorax pelagicus) (1)
- Reported Oct 20, 2019 11:19 by Peter Barnes,cc
- Hayden Island--Gazebo Point, Multnomah, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.6208525,-122.690582&ll=45.6208525,-122.690582
- Comments: "Continuing bird found here yesterday. Cormorant swimming in
water, smaller than Double-crested Cormorants nearby, with shorter and much
thinner, all-dark bill. The face was all dark with no yellow gular patch."

Pelagic Cormorant (Phalacrocorax pelagicus) (1)
- Reported Oct 20, 2019 11:09 by Eric Barnes
- Hayden Island--Gazebo Point, Multnomah, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.6208525,-122.690582&ll=45.6208525,-122.690582
- Comments: "Reasonable scope views with 3 other observers. Known to be
present.Much thinner bill profile, and lack of any orange/yellow on the
limited dull facial skin."

Great Egret (American) (Ardea alba egretta) (6) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 19, 2019 13:26 by adelia hwang
- William L. Finley NWR, Benton, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.4215209,-123.3151817&ll=44.4215209,-123.3151817
- Comments: "Three were in very close proximity"

Red-shouldered Hawk (elegans) (Buteo lineatus elegans) (1)
- Reported Oct 20, 2019 15:05 by Russ Namitz
- 14789–14943 Oceanview Dr, Brookings US-OR (42.0116,-124.2220), Curry,
Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.011606,-124.221956&ll=42.011606,-124.221956
- Comments: "Expected"

Rough-legged Hawk (Buteo lagopus) (1)
- Reported Oct 20, 2019 13:45 by Jeff Hayes
- Crystal Springs Rhododendron Garden, Multnomah, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.4779708,-122.6364702&ll=45.4779708,-122.6364702
- Comments: "Seen in flight over the golf course. First thought I had an
imm. Bald Eagle, then got it in my bins and realized I had a large,
non-redtail Buteo. Long wings, narrowing toward the tip, long tail, both
longer and narrower in proportion vs. Redtail. Wings held in slight
dihedral when facing into the ~10mph breeze, more flat-winged gliding when
facing away. Bird hovered briefly twice while scanning for prey. Dark
morph adult female: all dark body plumage and wing linings, dull dark
brown, out to the black carpal patches. Pale flight feathers with dark
tips. All-dark head (including chin) with small bill. Bird flew first
south, then north, over the golf course, quartering like a Harrier but at
50 - 75 meters up. At one point, the bird turned, showing its dorsal
side. I was able to observe white base of primaries and the upper surface
of the tail, which was a dirty grayish brown, darker toward the tip, no
conspicuous banding on tail. Cold coloration overall, although not as cold
as Harlan's. I watched the bird for about three minutes as it hunted, at
an estimated distance of 250-300 meters before it passed out of view behind
trees to the west."

Lewis's Woodpecker (Melanerpes lewis) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 20, 2019 08:16 by Pam Otley
- William L. Finley NWR--Cheadle Marsh, Benton, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.3954315,-123.3006334&ll=44.3954315,-123.3006334
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "I was on the east side of the Cheadle Marsh loop when this
woodpecker flew across trail and perched in tree briefly before continuing
to the west. Large dark woodpecker with pink belly and grey collar."

Acorn Woodpecker (Melanerpes formicivorus) (2)
- Reported Oct 20, 2019 16:21 by David Dwyer
- Running Y Ranch, Klamath, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.28163,-121.88338&ll=42.28163,-121.88338
- Comments: "Two of the resident Horned Lark group at the Running Y."

Fox Sparrow (Slate-colored) (Passerella iliaca [schistacea Group]) (1)
- Reported Oct 20, 2019 13:40 by Matt Cahill
- Local - Hollinshead Ct, Deschutes, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.0721577,-121.2893723&ll=44.0721577,-121.2893723
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "(Rare) Putting in my best guess for review. Wondering if this
is a slate-colored with red elements (potentially from overlap zone). Gray
face without strong pattern, moderate yellowish bill, and one wingbar
present point toward slate-colored. Streaks are pretty rufous throughout,
there was a distinct breast spot (not pictured), rufous streaks lightly
visible on back as well as rufous tones throughout hint at red. Scope photo
through glass door muted colors of the bird."

Fox Sparrow (Passerella iliaca) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 20, 2019 13:20 by Kent Coe
- Oak St., La Grande, Union, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.312219,-118.1031145&ll=45.312219,-118.1031145
- Comments: "Cont."

Dark-eyed Junco (cismontanus) (Junco hyemalis cismontanus) (1)
- Reported Oct 20, 2019 13:20 by Kent Coe
- Oak St., La Grande, Union, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.312219,-118.1031145&ll=45.312219,-118.1031145
- Comments: "Cont."

Great-tailed Grackle (Quiscalus mexicanus) (5)
- Reported Oct 20, 2019 11:05 by Debbie Teal
- Walmart Parking lot by the Food Door, Malheur, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.0265661,-116.9387501&ll=44.0265661,-116.9387501
- Comments: "Resident flock"

Great-tailed Grackle (Quiscalus mexicanus) (5)
- Reported Oct 20, 2019 11:05 by Tim Teal