Date: 10/20/19 2:56 pm
From: Lars Norgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] BNA species accounts
I renewed my subscription to Cornell"s Birds of North America this week. I
think it costs sixty cents a week or the like, maybe cheaper for students
and folks with a connection to some institution. I suppose this is where
the Pacslope nest data is being quoted from. The imprimature "Cornell" no
doubt impresses those it is meant to impress. But always bear in mind much
of the site is 20 years old. For this reason none of the Mountain Quail
research done in Oregon by ODF&W is included. Oregon"s own Sarah Sloane is
busy updating the Bushtit account. As with any attempt at the encyclopedic,
BNA is a work in progress, never the final word. Often as little as one
graduate student's field work is the basis for reported numbers such as
nest height above ground. That's an improvement over nothing at all,
frequently the case for some portions of a species account as I peruse BNA.
Well worth the money, but comes with blank spaces. Paul Adamus'
current project is a great way for any of us to help nibble away at those
blanks.lpn

Join us on Facebook!