Date: 10/20/19 10:24 am
From: Nicholas Mrvelj <nickmrvelj...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Question about Catharus thrush call
Hello Tom,

This sounds good for a Hermit Thrush, specifically their “vee” vocalization.

Here’s a similar example
https://www.xeno-canto.org/211200

Also, check the fourth and fifth recordings on this link and you’ll find a
match for both of vocalizations you described:

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Hermit_Thrush/sounds

The behavior would also make sense for Hermit Thrush, as they are
fall/winter residents in lower elevations throughout Western Oregon, and
are expected in your area this time of year. Gray-cheeked Thrush would be
an extraordinarily rare find on the other hand, and I’d be shocked if it
was hanging out for several mornings in a row and calling like that. Plus,
it’s vocalizations sound a little but different.

My two cents. Thanks for sharing and if you disagree you can always upload
it to eBird or xeno-canto and scrutinize the shape of the spectrogram,
cross comparing it to HETH vs GCTH.

Good Birding,
-Nick