Date: 10/20/19 9:18 am
From: Thomas Erdman <ErdT4...>
Subject: [wisb] Re: Permit to kill woodpeckers

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas Erdman
Sent: Sunday, October 20, 2019 11:16 AM
To: <kathijr777...>; Sandy Petersen <buboarcto2...>
Cc: <dmarc-noreply...>; <wisbirdn...>
Subject: RE: [wisb] Re: Permit to kill woodpeckers

Sandy and Kathi, I believe that they can get a permit through APHIS under USDA. Wisconsin DNR appears to only to share protection to wooden structures. So one needs a federal permit.

Now if you really wish to get discouraged you can google; USDA APHIS Wildlife Services. On front page they have a list on left side (Program Overview) of options. Select "Reports and Publications", then on that page select "Program Data Reports". On that page select a year at the top such as 2018. After clicking that the page will show some pie charts. Go the bottom one ; "Animals Dispersed/killed/ or Euthanized/Freed". Click on that and you will get a total listing for USA. On the top of that chart you can select "Wisconsin" and "Killed/Euthanized" and see what was done in Wisconsin last year! I realize this may seem a bit long, but they do have to report annually although they make it a bit hard to get to get to the numbers. 😊 Some examples,,,, "Cormorants killed 850, Sandhill Cranes 22, Herring Gulls 935, Starlings 15,000+, etc... You have to scan down the list because they report on how captured or killed, such as firearms, pyrotechnics, etc... and same species may b
e listed under different types of control. Gives one a different perspective of what is out in the state and how WE deal with it.

Tom Erdman, Oconto, WI