Date: 10/20/19 6:22 am
From: Steven Weiss <00000b3a1036ec14-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI]
Some useful information for anyone wanting to report a banded bird:  I have been sending band information from birds I have sighted to the Bird Banding Laboratory (BBL) at this website https://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/BBL/bblretrv/
Usually within a few days or up to a few weeks later I receive an email certificate showing how old the bird is and where it was banded.  I recently received an email from the database manager of bandedbirds.org.  Not the same as the BBL.  They are a repository for resighting information of migratory shorebirds for the Western Hemisphere.  The BBL forwarded them resighting information I had reported on an American Oystercatcher.  She is asking that I send future resighting information directly to them.  The bandedbirds.org resighting website is:  http://report.bandedbirds.org/ReportResighting.aspx
I am offering this information because, now and then, someone asks where to send band info.  I will be sending future resighting info on shorebirds to bandedbirds.org and other birds to the BBL.  When you record information, besides date and location, please note the following:     Type of band:  Leg band, neck collar, wing tag, etc.     Color of band     Left leg, right leg, etc.     Numbers, codes, etc.The BBL site gives more info information and examples of the tags and bands.  Digital photos are helpful and can be uploaded as an attachment.
For what it’s worth, I came across approximately 13 oystercatchers with bands one day last month at Island Beach and sent the info to the BBL.  Each bird had a silver federal tag on one leg, which was impossible to read on a live wild bird, and a colored band with numbers and/or letters on the other leg.  Those were readable with binoculars or an enlarged digital photo.  That is the info I sent.  Certificates have been coming back sporadically.  Some of the birds were as young as hatched this year to one hatched prior to 2002!  Some were banded locally in NJ, others as far north as Massachusetts and as far south as Georgia.
Steve WeissToms River

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>
List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi