Date: 10/20/19 12:25 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (19 Oct 2019) 63 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 63 562 1938

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 14:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Gary Stolz, Gerry Teig, Pat Freed, Ron Freed

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (17): Gary Stolz, Lea Gummey [plus master naturalist class of 10],
Gerry Teig, Ron & Pat Freed, Jim Balint
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Sunny (0-10% cloud cover), Ceiling -- 32,000-30,000 ft., Visibility - 10
miles, Temps 38 - 62F, Winds L & V.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered
Hawk, 6-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (53) and Turkey Vultures (70).

<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-_; 2 yr.-2; 3 yr.-1; 4 yr.-_; adult-4
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
TODAY’S Bucktoe Bird Blog [‘BBB’]: [PLEASE NOTE: On October 17,
I sent out the new large weekly “blog” and hotline in my new format - a
newsletter. This is NOT THESE reports you get from HawkCount. Rather,
it’s the newsletter from EBNT, with our upcoming schedule and the County
year bird list, etc. If you aren’t receiving it and are a regular
subscriber, look in your spam – a few servers send it there. [go
figure-lol] If you enjoy “the blog,” featuring the county species
list, and it ended up in your spam, you’ll have to follow your
provider’s method of “whitelisting” it, marking it as “not spam”
or it will always go there. It usually comes out every Thursday.
<BR><BR>
A clear blue sky awaits me at Bucktoe hawk watch, but there was a layer of
frost on the windows of my van as I left for my site. That calls for a
double dose of “field brew,” but you already knew that. Bald Eagles,
Turkey Vultures, accipiters, and Red-tailed Hawks continued their movement
south.
<BR><BR>
Gerry arrived, camera in hand for pictures of activity at the water
feature. Gary, Lea and the gang from TLC were out with the Master
Naturalist Class. A Barred Owl was reported early this morning [JB], while
Gary reported a Double-crested Cormorant flying over later in the day.
[GS]
<BR><BR>
Official counters from Wagner’s Gap, Ron & Pat, were here at Bucktoe
today on a visit. Wagner’s Gap hawk watch, located in western
Pennsylvania, is justly famous for their flights of Golden Eagles each
fall. I tried to get a Golden Eagle so hard today…you know, to make them
feel at home, but the best I could do was a couple of Ravens calling in the
distance. They absolutely loved Bucktoe and our setup for the hawk watch
here. I introduced them to the concept of “full-partial credit” when
Ron discovered a Sharp-shinned Hawk circling above the Red Clay Creek
valley. Ron and Pat, you guys were a delight! Sharing war stories of our
respective watches was so much fun. Invite me to Wagner’s Gap; I will
visit.
<BR><BR>
It was a good day for late-season butterflies, with 7 species noted,
including 4 Monarchs. Better scamper along guys. You have a long way to
go and a short time to get there!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Double-crested Cormorant, Barred Owl, COMMON RAVENS, Horned Larks,
Golden-crowned Kinglets, Ruby-crowned Kinglets, Pine Siskin, White-crowned
Sparrows, Swamp Sparrow, Palm Warbler, and Yellow-rumped Warbler
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (7): Monarch - 4, Cabbage White,
Clouded Sulphur, Orange Sulphur, Common Checkered Skipper, Buckeye,
Variegated Fritillary. Dragonflies (1): Green Darner. Reptiles &
Amphibians (0). Mammals (2): Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
numbers at the site for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 7.32; Steps:
17,180; Floors: 4.
<BR><BR>
that.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 46; this season:
126
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (1):” Pine
Siskin.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like the forecast has worsened to include some
rain.
<BR><BR>
for the “Nighthawk Watch.”

Site Description: