Date: 10/19/19 8:07 pm
From: <adamus7...>
Subject: [obol] Oregon birding where nobody's looked
As I posted here a week ago, by analyzing the eBird database for Oregon,
I've created maps that show places in each county where birders have
submitted complete lists to eBird as of July 2019. Thus, by default, the
larger the "blank spaces" between points, the greater the mystery of what
birds occur there. By stopping to bird in some of these areas (provided
access and safety allow) and eBirding our observations when we do, we
contribute more to improving knowledge of Oregon bird distributions and
habitat preferences than by birding only in well-covered "hotspots." I find
it personally satisfying to cover unbirded "blank spaces" (streets, roads,
trails) that are within a dozen or so miles of where I live, and farther
ones when I have more time. I find these by zooming in to a map (which
optionally can be seen on your smartphone), driving there, finding a safe
place to park, and walking for several minutes as I eBird what I see and
hear.

Since posting this a week ago I adjusted the "permissions" on the maps so
anyone can now see them by clicking on the links below -- you don't have to
contact me personally or have a Google account. So far, I've prepared these
mostly for counties in western Oregon but will post links for the other
counties once I finish those maps. For many counties I'm also preparing
maps showing parts of the county with no reports historically during the
current month, and will post the links as I finish those maps also.

Paul Adamus

************
Benton:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qDBZFx6J4ZMhPu0bz-GL1ml-wG2OMjwX&usp=shari