Date: 10/19/19 5:53 pm
From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Subject: [obol] Coos Bay today 10/19/19
I drove out the 4x4 sand road to south end of the North Spit in the PM.
Rain showers had let up. In the bay I counted 75 RHINO AUKLETS between
Empire and the end of the jetty. Also 20 HARLEQUIN DUCKS at the base of the
north jetty. Maybe 50 pelis in bay, every other one with a HEERMANN’S GULL
close by.

I decided to walk out to close to the end of north jetty and spent an hour
out there late PM. The fulmar and storm-petrel numbers were crazy. The
first half hour I had one fulmar per second and one storm-petrel ever three
seconds, that flipped second half hour. Most birds right off end of jetty
so had superb views of birds. Storm-petrels were close and it was easy to
see white rump on Leach’s, I called it 2/3s Leachs on storm-petrel numbers
and that may be an under estimate, highlights- all birds pouring south:

NORTHERN FULMAR- 1,800
LEACH’S STORM-PETREL- 1,200
FT STORM-PETREL- 600
BL KITTIWAKE- 6
SABINE’S GULLS- 3 (all adults, one circling and feeding off end of jetty
the entire time)
HEERMANN’S GULL- 300
PINK-FOOTED SHEAR- 4
SOOTY SHEAR- 3
SOOTY/ST SHEAR-10
POM/PAR JAEGER- 3 (all low and hard to get decent looks at)
Lots of loons (mostly Pacifics), hundreds of Rhino Auklets, some Cassin’s,
hundreds of Surf Scoters, some WW Scoters, and hundreds of CA Gulls also
that I didn’t try to count. A fun afternoon!

Merry late migration,
Tim Rodenkirk
Coos Bay

Join us on Facebook!