Date: 10/19/19 3:56 pm
From: Mary Korkor <marykorkor...>
Subject: [wisb] Re: Permit to kill woodpeckers
I came across a new construction home in my area which had removed numerous trees in order to build. On the side of the house, which was all cedar shingles, were multiple rat traps, 12’ feet high, baited with suet, clearly intended to kill woodpeckers. I contacted the DNR warden in my area, who responded immediately and worked with the home owners to come up with alternative approaches. It is sad to see this used as an option, especially when a home owner has chosen to build in an area that is rich in wildlife, including woodpeckers, and uses materials, such as cedar shingles, that attract these birds.
Mary Korkor
Hartland, Waukesha County