Date: 10/17/19 4:43 pm
From: Carl Starace <castarace...>
Subject: [cobirds] Firestone Gravel Pits Is Now Singular
I hadn't visited this ,at times, terrific birding venue for several
months. This morning I was both shocked and saddened to find the smaller of
the two ponds,[ on the west side of the dirt road], had been completely
drained. This pond was somewhat larger than the one at Jim Hamm Preserve
on County Line Road. I, and many others over some years have seen it on
countless days just teeming with waterfowl of every variety. Today I saw
only bulldozers in motion. There was lots of activity out on the eastern
pond. Well over one hundred White Pelicans were spread out over its water
and at rest on the edges. The sky was filled with gulls, there were two
Western Grebes and Ruddy Ducks were in similar numbers as Lagerman
Reservoirs. Carl in Niwot