Date: 10/17/19 2:28 pm
From: Shawneen Finnegan <shawneenfinnegan...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Mandarin Duck at Canby Community Park (Clackamas Co)
Mandarin Ducks are gorgeous birds which is why they are commonly kept in waterfowl collections. I am not quite sure why people consider these life birds unless you keep a list of any bird species you see whether it is a captive or otherwise.

eBird does encourage people to report non-native birds in order to track populations. As a result if you report a species like Mandarin Duck it will show up as part of your life list because eBird has yet to develop filters that exclude non-countable birds.

If one is going by the official American Birding Association and American Ornithologist’s Society official bird lists for North America Mandarin Duck doesn’t qualify and isn’t on any official North American list. Mandarin Ducks are commonly kept in waterfowl collections which makes them unlikely to show up as a vagrant, unless one were to show up at locations like the Aleutians or St Lawrence Island.

Cheers,
Shawneen Finnegan
Beaverton, OR

PET PORTRAITS AT:
shawneenfinnegan.com

> On Oct 17, 2019, at 1:38 PM, Ben Davis <bendavis2...> wrote:
>
> Clay Crofton and Annika Andersson reported 4 Mandarin Ducks on Oct 15th at Canby Community Park. I went down to confirm and locate them. I've added directions to the duck I found and photos on ebird. (https://ebird.org/checklist/S60694352 <https://ebird.org/checklist/S60694352> )
>
> Annika mentioned that she also saw 3 Mandarin Ducks just outside the park in a pond on Elm Street. I wasn't able to locate or confirm these individuals.
>
> This was a lifer for me. I was very happy to see it.

Join us on Facebook!