Date: 10/18/19 11:09 am
From: Herb and Sarah Myers <hesemyers...>
Subject: Autumn Birds
I've been procrastinating on reporting on some fun birds that we saw this
week. I was reminded again at lunch when a Ruby-crowned Kinglet was
flitting around in a shrub just off of our back deck. Also, this morning as
the sun was beginning to peek through the clouds, a beautifully marked
Red-tailed Hawk was soaring through the sunbeams over Harman going higher
and higher as the strong breezes lifted it.

On Monday, we did counts in both of our local state parks. In Blackwater
Falls State Park, there was a Pied-billed Grebe swimming and diving on
Pendleton Lake. On the Blackwater River Trail and along the river just
north of the golf course in Canaan Valley State Park, we encountered some
late flocks that included some warblers. There were Yellow-rumped Warblers
and my first of the autumn Tennessee Warbler. There was a Ruby-crowned
Kinglet there as well along with both White and Red-breasted Nuthatches. On
the river, we had Canada Geese, a Mallard and a male Wood Duck.

Yes, birds are leaving but others are arriving and birding is still fun
amidst the beauty of the autumn colors. Snowflakes flew in Canaan Valley
yesterday and Spruce Knob had about an inch so beware. Herb Myers, Harman
from Randolph and Tucker Counties.

Join us on Facebook!