Date: 10/18/19 5:53 am
From: guineabird via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] The Sharpie, Blue Jay and Pileated
(Where are you, Sean?)You're right, it is interesting.No doubt, Jays are part of the food chain.
One summer, several years ago, I watched four BJ's that sat quietly by a house wren nest only to pluck off a little one as it stepped out into the world for the first time. One of the birds would secure the tiny bird in its claws then fly away with the other three jays behind.
During the time the jays were gone, another wren would manage an escape. In a few moments the killer squad would return and repeat the process.It appeared to me the group was in training.
Gail FrantzBalto County
In a message dated 10/18/2019 8:22:29 AM Eastern Standard Time, <captainamerica23...> writes:

I thought it was interesting that the SSHA was going after a Jay... the Jay probably had it coming to him.