Date: 10/16/19 2:35 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (15 Oct 2019) 41 Raptors

CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (2): Ellen Nunn
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Sunny (10% cloud cover), Ceiling -- 30,000 ft., Visibility - 10 miles,
Temps 47 - 68F, Winds L & V.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Bald Eagle,
2-Red-shouldered Hawk, 6-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (81) and
Turkey Vultures (70).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-1; 2 yr.-1; 3 yr.-_; 4 yr.-1; adult-10
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
TODAY’S Bucktoe Bird Blog [‘BBB’]:
<BR><BR>
The sky turned a perfect mixture of clouds and sun, but the birds were
sparse, as were the people. Where was everybody?? Ellen did come out and
she was showing off, finding several of the Bald Eagles and a RAVEN! We
were able to watch both species at length, in separate pair-bonding
activity and interacting with the other species, too.
<BR><BR>
Sabrena, a reader of the blog, reported some excitement in her backyard
along the Octoraro Creek. She was looking at a Goldfinch sitting on a
Black Walnut branch fairly close by her deck, when a speedy Merlin came
right down and grabbed the Goldfinch in it's talons without slowing down,
flying off with the Goldfinch protesting!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Belted Kingfisher, COMMON RAVENS, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, White-crowned
Sparrows, Savannah Sparrows, Palm Warblers, and Yellow-rumped Warblers
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (7): Cabbage White, Eastern Tailed
Blue, Clouded Sulphur, Orange Sulphur, Common Checkered Skipper, Buckeye,
Variegated Fritillary. Dragonflies (1): Green Darner. Reptiles &
Amphibians (0). Mammals (1): Eastern Cottontail.
<BR><BR>
numbers at the site for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 6.15; Steps:
14,421; Floors: 13.
<BR><BR>
Hawk Watch, but conduct a migration tally from the site. Below is the list
of species identified on this year’s “Watch,” from the watch area.
We include it here, from time to time (about once a week), to let you know
what else we’re seeing here at the Bucktoe Watch. Our tally board, on
site, will feature an approximation (very rough, best “guestimate,” –
searching for Hawks must remain our primary focus) for totals of each
species seen for “The Watch” year. The overall list for the season
from the watch will be part of the large weekly “blog,” if you’ve
signed up for that.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 40; this season:
125
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (0):”
none.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like a washout, at least after noon, with a
strong system moving thru bringing heavy rain and strong southerly winds.
We desperately need it, but horrible for hawk migration.
<BR><BR>
for the “Nighthawk Watch.”

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek