Date: 10/15/19 7:36 pm
From: Barbara Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Wachusett Mountain (15 Oct 2019) 55 Raptors
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2019 18:22:31 -0800
From: <reports...>
Subject: Wachusett Mountain (15 Oct 2019) 55 Raptors

Peregrine Falcon 1 11 27
Unknown Accipiter 0 17 31
Unknown Buteo 0 4 10
Unknown Falcon 0 1 8
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 5 18 92
Mississippi Kite 0 0 1

Total: 55 497 4191

Observation start time: 08:30:00 Observation end time: 15:00:00 Total
observation time: 6.5 hours

Official Counter: Rod Chase

Observers: Christine Restell, Daryl Turek, Eric Mueller, Mike McNamara

Visitors:
Also observing: Bob Heppler from 9-12 was a welcome help!

Compared to the last 3 days the hill was quiet and peaceful. One school
group up for half an hour and a few dozen people asking about the watch and
taking in the good views.
Of note was a gentleman Knute Hansen who spoke with Christine for a while
and I was pleased to catch the last
half. Great talk with an all-smiles birder who loves ocean and shore birds
and much more.

Weather:
NW breeze 5mph/8kph to start but dropped to 0-3/0-5 by
10am. Mid-afternoon we found some periods with variable
shifts from North to West and only a hint of breeze. The
fair morning flight evaporated to a very slow flight from
11am on.
Cloud cover 5% rose to 15% by noon but the light cirrus
was almost transparent and had no effect on the available thermal lift. We
just needed more birds. Visibility was also fine: 15mi/24k with light haze
down below in the AM
but 30mi/48km in the afternoon.

Raptor Observations:
Again, TVs were the biggest contributers to our total yet
all appeared before 10:50am. Having another RS was nice but it passed so
high above us. An early PG decided he had
to repeatedly dive on the BE and did so from under and over. One strike to
eagle's back just for emphasis -- no harm done.
The two local Coopers hawks put on the best show. One came in high and
made many close passes at our high, back
and forth then higher and lower. Suddenly the 2nd Coop came up from the NE
shrubs and began a duel with
the original bird. They were all over each other but, after about 5
minutes worth, one peeled down and out to
the NW.

Locals, besides the 2 CH: 3 TV, 1 BE adult.

Non-raptor Observations:
5 Common Ravens playing all day; 70-75 Grackles swirled
by; only some Blue Jays popped up from the trees.
Monarchs 5.

Predictions:
Increasing clouds, high near 60, light South wind becoming
SW in the afternoon at 5-10 mph.
Report submitted by Rod Chase (<rodchase...>)
Wachusett Mountain information may be found at:
http://www.massbird.org/emhw

More site information at hawkcount.org:
http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=228

Join us on Facebook!