Date: 10/15/19 5:52 am
From: Teresa Hertzel <teresa.hertzel...>
Subject: [obol] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Oregon Rare Bird Alert
*** Species Summary:

Mandarin Duck (2 Clackamas, 2 Josephine)
Cinnamon Teal (1 Klamath)
Red-necked Grebe (1 Clackamas, 2 Union)
American Golden-Plover (2 Umatilla)
Baird's Sandpiper (1 Jackson)
American White Pelican (1 Douglas)
Northern Goshawk (1 Clatsop)
Swainson's Hawk (1 Washington)
Rough-legged Hawk (1 Multnomah)
Lewis's Woodpecker (1 Benton)
Acorn Woodpecker (1 Klamath)
Merlin (Black) (1 Jackson)
Hammond's Flycatcher (1 Jackson)
Clark's Nutcracker (1 Curry)
Barn Swallow (1 Josephine)
Swainson's Thrush (1 Lane)
Great-tailed Grackle (1 Malheur)
Yellow Warbler (1 Deschutes)

Mandarin Duck (Aix galericulata) (1)
- Reported Oct 14, 2019 13:04 by Helen Browning
- Canby Community Park, Clackamas, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.250916,-122.704054&ll=45.250916,-122.704054
- Comments: "Continuing bird. Seen in pool off trail leading south of park"

Mandarin Duck (Aix galericulata) (3)
- Reported Oct 14, 2019 12:59 by Ruth Morton
- Canby Community Park, Clackamas, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.250916,-122.704054&ll=45.250916,-122.704054
- Comments: "Two males and one female. Observed at length with others at
site reported past two days."

Mandarin Duck (Aix galericulata) (1)
- Reported Oct 14, 2019 12:48 by Tanner Martin
- Riverside Park, Josephine, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.428475,-123.328305&ll=42.428475,-123.328305
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Male, in mallard flock under 6th St. bridge. Three MAND were
reported downstream at Indian Mary Park on Oct. 11, so this individual is
likely one of those"

Mandarin Duck (Aix galericulata) (1)
- Reported Oct 14, 2019 08:35 by Dennis Vroman
- Riverside Park, Josephine, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.428475,-123.328305&ll=42.428475,-123.328305
- Comments: "Obvious male, likely escaped bird; birds reported recently at
Indian Mary Park."

Cinnamon Teal (Spatula cyanoptera) (1)
- Reported Oct 14, 2019 12:36 by Julie Van Moorhem
- Oregon Drain, Klamath, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.0243057,-121.8256073&ll=42.0243057,-121.8256073
- Comments: "Male"

Red-necked Grebe (Podiceps grisegena) (4)
- Reported Oct 14, 2019 09:50 by Dave Trochlell
- Morgan Lake, Union, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.2999306,-118.1369305&ll=45.2999306,-118.1369305
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Photo."

Red-necked Grebe (Podiceps grisegena) (1)
- Reported Oct 13, 2019 14:40 by Dave Trochlell
- Morgan Lake, Union, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.2999306,-118.1369305&ll=45.2999306,-118.1369305
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Photo."

Red-necked Grebe (Podiceps grisegena) (1)
- Reported Oct 14, 2019 11:29 by Jeff Dillon
- Timothy Lake, Estacada US-OR (45.1157,-121.8039), Clackamas, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.115746,-121.803917&ll=45.115746,-121.803917
- Comments: "Grebe with long neck, heavy bill. Twice size of nearby horned
grebe and 2/3 size of nearby westerns."

American Golden-Plover (Pluvialis dominica) (1)
- Reported Oct 14, 2019 08:31 by Mark Ludwick
- Cold Springs NWR, Umatilla, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.8502011,-119.1532407&ll=45.8502011,-119.1532407
- Comments: "Photo"

American Golden-Plover (Pluvialis dominica) (1)
- Reported Oct 13, 2019 14:38 by Carolyn Featherston
- Cold Springs Reservoir, Stanfield US-OR (45.8553,-119.1476), Umatilla,
Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.855282,-119.147602&ll=45.855282,-119.147602
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "First seen and reported by Aaron Skirven. Photo added and
confirmed by A Skirven"

Baird's Sandpiper (Calidris bairdii) (1)
- Reported Oct 14, 2019 14:45 by Janet Kelly
- Kirtland Rd.--Ponds, Jackson, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.4336881,-122.9128075&ll=42.4336881,-122.9128075
- Comments: "Sandpiper, smaller than nearby Killdeer, with short black
legs, scaled gray-brown upperparts, brown breast. Wings projects beyond the
tail. Observed in the back pond along the east edge."

American White Pelican (Pelecanus erythrorhynchos) (5)
- Reported Oct 14, 2019 13:20 by Russ Namitz
- Plat I Reservoir, Douglas, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.394346,-123.2522678&ll=43.394346,-123.2522678
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing at this location. Large white pelicans."

Northern Goshawk (Accipiter gentilis) (1)
- Reported Oct 12, 2019 07:20 by Bill Shelmerdine
- Fort Stevens SP--Battery Russell, Clatsop, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=46.193352,-123.974378&ll=46.193352,-123.974378
- Comments: "At 0740 a hawk flew down the ridge from north to south, just
above the tree tops, circling twice low over the large open area of Battery
Russell. I was standing on the grassy slope at the top of the battery and
ridge at the time for unobstructed views. Good views of both the dorsal
and ventral surfaces as the bird circled. The bird appeared broad winged
and rather short tailed, my first thought was a small buteo, possibly a
Red-shouldered but quickly ruled that out when I raised my binoculars.
Gray above with dark cap accentuated by pale eye-stripe. Grayish and
indistinctly patterned below; distinctly white and fluffy appearing
undertail and vent some of which (sides) could even be seen from dorsal
side as it banked. Gray underwings and gray tail with faint darker bands.
Accipiter-like flight (flap and glide) with broad wings and chunky aspect
overall. My impression was an adult male, but uncertain. Quite shocked to
see this bird here, but seen rather close."

Swainson's Hawk (Buteo swainsoni) (1)
- Reported Oct 14, 2019 17:08 by Nels Nelson
- Dawson Creek Corporate Park, Washington, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.5416154,-122.9335785&ll=45.5416154,-122.9335785
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Long, slender wings, rather pointed at the tips. High flying,
only gliding when I saw it, headed pretty much straight south, not changing
elevation or direction. Wings on this raptor only fit the illustration for
this species in Siblely's 2nd edition guide. Comments welcome."

Rough-legged Hawk (Buteo lagopus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 14, 2019 17:09 by Jill Punches
- Broughton Beach, Multnomah, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.6003622,-122.6152539&ll=45.6003622,-122.6152539
- Media: 9 Photos
- Comments: "On the fence near the fire station and flew. Saw again.
Photos!"

Lewis's Woodpecker (Melanerpes lewis) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 14, 2019 14:28 by Jamie Simmons
- Chip Ross Park, Benton, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.6081292,-123.2823086&ll=44.6081292,-123.2823086
- Comments: "Observed from a distance of about 300-400 feet. Dark birds
that flew like crows. One perched woodpecker-like on the edge of the top of
a topped (and limbed) fir, pecking at something. An Acorn Woodpecker
confronted it and it left, flying to the north. The second bird flew from
an unseen perch and they disappeared to the north. I walked back to the
area, but was unable to relocate them."

Acorn Woodpecker (Melanerpes formicivorus) (3)
- Reported Oct 14, 2019 13:56 by David Dwyer
- Running Y Ranch, Klamath, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.28163,-121.88338&ll=42.28163,-121.88338
- Comments: "Three of the Horned Lark group on the Running Y. Can be seen
daily."

Merlin (Black) (Falco columbarius suckleyi) (1)
- Reported Oct 14, 2019 12:19 by Alex Lamoreaux
- Emigrant Lake--Songer Wayside, Jackson, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.140687,-122.594412&ll=42.140687,-122.594412
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Soaring distantly with an adult RTHA but then suddenly shot
towards me and swooped on a flyover junco. Female/juvenile type... probably
juvenile with how fresh the plumage was. Very dark overall with dark wings
and tail (limited barring anywhere), dark helmet appearance (versus
well-defined sideburns), and thick, black streaking over dark-buff body
color. Photos."

Hammond's Flycatcher (Empidonax hammondii) (1)
- Reported Oct 14, 2019 12:40 by Janet Kelly
- Pioneer Hills, Jackson, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.2668771,-122.8802025&ll=42.2668771,-122.8802025
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Still around"

Clark's Nutcracker (Nucifraga columbiana) (1)
- Reported Oct 14, 2019 14:28 by Dena Turner
- Cape Blanco SP, Curry, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.8363249,-124.5461655&ll=42.8363249,-124.5461655
- Comments: "Gray bird with long black bill, black eyes, black legs. A bit
of light gray in the face. White outer tail with black median. Black wings
with white wing patches. Some of white wing patch shows in folded wings.
Stockier than northern mockingbird that I have seen previously in the
field close to the Sixes River, and patches at back of wing in the CLNU.
Have seen these many times in the mountains. Obviously out of his area at
the scrub at the top of the beach. Seen from reasonably close and good view
for a good period of time."

Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica) (5)
- Reported Oct 14, 2019 11:08 by Tanner Martin
- Rogue Lea Estates ponds, Josephine, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.429792,-123.3599854&ll=42.429792,-123.3599854
- Comments: "Swallow with orangish belly, blue face, red chin, and long
tail. Flock made several passed over the ponds as I was there. Photo."

Swainson's Thrush (Catharus ustulatus) (1)
- Reported Oct 12, 2019 15:00 by Joshua Galpern
- Eugene--Hiwan Ct., Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.0084685,-123.0773134&ll=44.0084685,-123.0773134
- Comments: "A bit late."

Great-tailed Grackle (Quiscalus mexicanus) (3)
- Reported Oct 14, 2019 17:10 by Sean Cozart
- Ontario Walmart Parking Lot, Malheur, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.0261318,-116.9388936&ll=44.0261318,-116.9388936
- Comments: "Two females just as we pulled in. Male, possibly immature
indicating they are breeding here, was spotted on the other side of the
lot. Known population. I'm wondering just because of the numbers and
consistency throughout the town, we should just bump up to expected on the
filters."

Yellow Warbler (Setophaga petechia) (1)
- Reported Oct 14, 2019 16:08 by barb phillips
- Bentham Falls Trail Head, Bend US-OR (43.9305,-121.4115), Deschutes,
Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.93049,-121.411546&ll=43.93049,-121.411546
- Comments: "All yellow with bright yellow above eye and no black cap;
possible female Wilson’s ? but unable to get a photo"