Date: 10/15/19 5:46 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (13 Oct 2019) 31 Raptors

Observation start time: 05:00:00
Observation end time: 17:00:00
Total observation time: 12 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers:

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (18): Jean-Marie Gauthier, Colleen DelMonte, Harvey Rubenstein,
Lana Glass, Dan Noznisky, Walter Borys, Laureen Eick-Benson, Kris Benarcik,
Adam Bartles, Ellen Nunn, Beaty Broughton, Gerry Teig,
Jennifer Kline [+1], Nora Enis-Patrone, Anita Regester, Jane Holloway
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Partly Sunny (50% cloud cover), Ceiling -- 20,200-15,200 ft., Visibility -
10 miles, Temps 46 - 68F, Winds NW/NE/SE @ 5 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered
Hawk, 6-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (64) and Turkey Vultures (61).

<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-1; 2 yr.-_; 3 yr.-_; 4 yr.-_; adult-2
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
TODAY’S Bucktoe Bird Blog [‘BBB’]:
<BR><BR>
This is to be another long day, beginning with the start of our Bucktoe
“Big Sit,” interrupted by a walk I lead, then back to the sit and the
Hawk Watch. Arriving at 5am, I listened for nocturnal calling migrants.
None were heard, but I did well with the owls, hearing Screech, Great
Horned & Barred.
13 people were out for our walk on this chilly morning, where we saw 49
species highlighted by a late season, old-fashioned warbler wave, with
nothing super-rare, but lots of birds, close, and lingering for a long
time. It was FANTASTIC! There were Blue-headed Vireos, Black-and-white
Warblers, Northern Parula, Blackburnian Warbler, Black-throated Blue
Warblers, Palm Warblers, and Yellow-rumped Warblers. Also seen on the walk
were Northern Harrier, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Cooper’s Hawk, Yellow-bellied
Sapsucker, Ruby-crowned Kinglets, Dark-eyed Juncos, White-crowned Sparrows,
Savannah Sparrow, and Blue Grosbeak. WOW that was fun!
<BR><BR>
Returning to the Big Sit and Hawk Watch, Ellen arrived bearing gifts of
food and spotting a Common Loon flying in the distance; receiving
full-partial credit for the discovery. Gerry & I witnessed a major push of
Tree Swallows streaming due south. We also watched a Red-bellied
Woodpecker first visit our water feature [a first] and then feed in an
interesting way on our feeder snag. She would go to the feeder tray, elect
a peanut, then fly to the snag, wedging the morsel between a gap at a
particular branch and the trunk, then peck away until finished. She would
return over and over, repeating the procedure. Once, she forgot where her
branch was, going to the wrong one. It was so funny watching her head
movements in bewilderment. She was asking herself, “Where is my crevice?
What happened??” We laughed as you could watch her trying to figure it
out. She did work it out. We had so much fun watching it!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
__
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (4): Cabbage White, Clouded Sulphur,
Common Checkered Skipper, Variegated Fritillary. Dragonflies (0) Reptiles
& Amphibians (0). Mammals (3): Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel,
White-tailed Deer.
<BR><BR>
numbers at the site for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 8.32; Steps:
19,517; Floors: 14.
<BR><BR>
that.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 58; this season:
125
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (2):”
Common Loon and Horned Lark.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight prediction is irrelevant as its already happened as I
try to catch up in paperwork after the weekend's big sits.
<BR><BR>
for the “Nighthawk Watch.”

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek