Date: 10/14/19 7:24 pm
From: Barbara Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] October 14, 2019 Belle Isle Marsh - Greater Yellow Legs, Snowy Egret,,and Tons of out of season Cowbirds
Thanks to Matt S. for this report.

Barbara Volkle
Northborough, MA
<barb620...>

*

From: "Matt S." <accipiter22...>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2019 20:42:02 -0400
Subject: October 14, 2019 Belle Isle Marsh - Greater Yellow Legs, Snowy
Egret,
and Tons of out of season Cowbirds

Hi All,

I took my first ever trip to Belle Isle Marsh today, I didn't realize how
easy it was to park at or get to, I'll definitely be going back, what a fun
spot. I didn't see any warblers, but there were a bunch of cowbirds and
red-winged blackbirds foraging right by the entrance. I also saw a few
greater yellow-legs and a snowy egret; so odd to see those basically in
Boston, in modern times.

That's all for now.

Matt S.
Newton, MA
<Accipiter22...>

------------------------------

Belle Isle Marsh Reservation, Suffolk, Massachusetts, US
Oct 14, 2019 9:18 AM - 10:22 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.53 mile(s)
22 species

Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) 1
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) 2
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) (Columba livia (Feral Pigeon)) 24
Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura) 15
Greater Yellowlegs (Tringa melanoleuca) 3
Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis) 4
Herring Gull (Larus argentatus) 4
Double-crested Cormorant (Phalacrocorax auritus) 1
Snowy Egret (Egretta thula) 1
Downy Woodpecker (Dryobates pubescens) 2
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata) 1
European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris) 89
Gray Catbird (Dumetella carolinensis) 2
Northern Mockingbird (Mimus polyglottos) 3
American Robin (Turdus migratorius) 6
House Sparrow (Passer domesticus) 1
House Finch (Haemorhous mexicanus) 2
American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis) 2
Savannah Sparrow (Passerculus sandwichensis) 5
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia) 10
Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus) 11
Brown-headed Cowbird (Molothrus ater) 14 Mixed flock right at entrance
with red wings and starlings. In the photos below those 2 males were seen
simultaneously to the flock of 10 in the other picture. The 7th female in
the 2nd picture is behind the starling in the bath. I have more photos
that show it. Also simultaneous to these two shots were another two males
in a tree to the left.

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S60612810

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home
)