Date: 10/14/19 4:47 pm
From: Mike Patterson <celata...>
Subject: [obol] Re: A note on fall Kingbirds
A few years back, I sorted through Tropical Kingbird records for
Oregon and Washington...

http://www.surfbirds.com/community-blogs/northcoastdiaries/?p=2506

One of the more curious things about my search was the dearth of
records before the mid-1970's, a couple records from Washington
(including specimen records) and nothing official from Oregon.
Roy's note on the treatment of kingbirds by the ruling members
of the birding community of that period may be the explanation.

I did a bit of rooting around in my own personal records and
discovered I have seen 39 Tropical Kingbirds from 24 unique by year
and location records on the Lower Columbia (both sides of the river)
since 2000. 11 of 39 were multiple birds, as many a 3 interacting
together. These were all birds I had reported to either birdnotes,
OBOL or ebird. There are probably a handful more I could find if
I took the time to dig through old notebooks or could search OBOL
records from before 2000.

By contrast I have only seen Western Kingbird in the Spring and
Summer. And I've seen more Tropical Kingbirds on the Lower
Columbia than Eastern Kingbirds, Say's Phoebes, or Ash-throated
Flycatchers.

--
Mike Patterson
Astoria, OR