Date: 10/9/19 8:33 pm
From: <jmeredit...>
Subject: [obol] Deschutes county, ECAS Wednesday birders at Wickiup, Twin Lakes
First species for the list was PINYON JAYS while we gathered for
carpooling at Riverwoods Store. A 3 MERLIN day is a real treat and we
had that, with one even chasing ravens around in a prolonged display of
aerial skill. While we didn't find the more rare migrating waterfowl and
seabirds, that gave us a chance to study pipits, Yellow-rumps etc. We
did find several MYRTLEs among the mostly Audubon's and Steve K was able
to distinguish the difference in their chip notes. We only get Myrtles
in Migration over here. Fun study. NORTHERN PYGMY OWL called as we were
at North Wickiup but we did not find it for a visual. Another called
while we were at North Twin, again no visual. A single HERRING GULL flew
right over us at the river channel at South Twin, but all the other
gulls today were California or Ring-bills or too distant to ID. No
terns. Killdeer were the only shorebirds, a flock of 21 at North
Wickiup. Biggest flock of COMMON LOONS was at North Twin, and only
singles at Wickiup. Thanks to Diane Burgess for ebirding and sharing.

This report was mailed for Judy Meredith by http://birdnotes.net
Canada Goose - one small flock, from the dam
Mallard
Northern Pintail-single bird, kiosk ponds area
Green-Winged Teal-North Wickiup
Ring-necked Duck
Lesser Scaup
Bufflehead
Common Goldeneye-no adult males! North Wickiup
Barrow's Goldeneye-no adult males! " "
Common Merganser
Common Loon
Pied-billed Grebe
Double-crested Cormorant-about 150, tight flock from the dam
Great Blue Heron
Bald Eagle
Northern Harrier
Sharp-shinned Hawk
Cooper's Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
American Kestrel
Merlin
American Coot
Killdeer
Ring-billed Gull
California Gull
Herring Gull
Northern Pygmy-Owl
Red-breasted Sapsucker-tapping in willows, kiosk ponds
Hairy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker-flock moving North Wickiup
Gray Jay-4 moved quickly into the forest, pines near river channel
Steller's Jay
Pinyon Jay-south Bend, Riverwoods Store
Common Raven
Horned Lark-flock of 14 or so, North Wickiup
Mountain Chickadee
Red-breasted Nuthatch
White-breasted Nuthatch
Pygmy Nuthatch
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Western Bluebird-flock 12 at Kiosk ponds
Mountain Bluebird-here and there
Hermit Thrush, kiosk ponds, roadsides
American Robin
American Pipit-small flocks in many places.
Yellow-rumped Warbler- maybe 10+ percent of YRWA were Myrtles
Spotted Towhee
Savannah Sparrow
Fox Sparrow-Sooty
Song Sparrow
White-crowned Sparrow
Golden-crowned Sparrow-more Golden-Cr than White-Cr
Dark-eyed Junco
Cassin's Finch
Pine Siskin
Total number of species seen: 55
Birders today: Sheila Timony, Mary Webster, Gordon Wetzel, Steve
Kornfeld, Diane Burgess, Nancy Boever, Judy Meredith. Next week, Houston
Lake, ag fields, CRWC, etc. Good birding,
POST: Send your post to <obol...>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!