Date: 10/9/19 7:59 pm
From: Mike Patterson <celata...>
Subject: [obol] Re: "good" birder
Brodie put the phrase in quotes, but the algorithm does not identify
good birds, it evaluates sophistication and diversity of the
identifications produced by individual users. This has everything to do
with experience and effort and nothing to do with good or bad.

Good and bad are subjective value claims that are all too easily
misinterpreted. I have every confidence that Brodie did not mean to
sound judgemental, but I suspect that one of the reasons why many
birders don't use eBird is because they don't believe they are "good"
enough. And it doesn't help when a certain subset of eBirders make
bizarre and often contradictory claims about what people using ebird
should or should not do regarding eBird data collection.

The algorithm Brodie describes is one of the many statistical tools
eBird managers use to account for the diversity of use patterns folks
have. It's much easier to build these tools than try to get ebirder
users to all behave exactly the same way.

--
Mike Patterson
Astoria, OR

Join us on Facebook!