Date: 10/9/19 1:56 pm
From: 'Galveston Ornithological Society' <galornsoc...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: RE: [nflbirds] male scarlet tanager
Interesting post, Harry.

Winter male Scarlet Tanagers are yellow-green with black wings and tail. In
fall, most have already made the transition, but a few (like yours) haven't
quite finished. Nature is organized in gradients and nowhere is this more
evident than in molts. Field guides seldom show these gradients, I guess to
save space/money???

Molt migration is a fairly common phenomenon. For instance, Golden Plovers
stop halfway to Alaska to complete molt every May, just as many
Black-bellied Plovers show up here in fall still in breeding plumage, just
the opposite of the Dunlins who molt before heading this way in fall (making
them quite tardy compared to other wintering shorebirds). [Let's see you
beat that run on sentence.]

Pray for the Noles. ;)

Jim in Galveston

_____