Date: 10/9/19 1:58 pm
From: David Moon <dmoon...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Plum Island 10-9-2019
This morning Susan Yurkus and I led a group of birders who were either tough, unaware of the weather forecast, or both. With angrily overcast skies, temperatures in the 50's, and high winds from the northeast, we observed many birds whose shapes were contorted in flight to contend with the gale. There were hundreds of ducks on Bill Forward Pool, and plenty of seabirds, though the latter were hard to see in the wind and waves. Next Wednesday, we hope for a more sparrowy day, and a Dave Weaver fully recovered from his cold when we strike out again at 9:30 am.

Our list:
Canada Goose - common.
Gadwall (15) - Bill forward Pool (BFP).
American Black Duck - common.
Mallard - common.
Northern Pintail (30) - BFP.
Green-winged Teal (100's) - BFP.
Scoter sp. (25+) off Sandy Point and Emerson Rocks.
White-winged Scoter (1) Emmerson Rocks.
Black Scoter (5) - off Emmerson Rocks.
Long-tailed Duck (4+) - off Sandy Point and Emerson Rocks.
Red-breasted Merganser (5) - off Sandy Point.
Wild Turkey (7) - North Marsh.
Common Loon (1) - off Sandy Point.
Northern Gannet (~7) - off Sandy Point.
Double-crested Cormorant (~10) - various.
Great Blue Heron (2) - North Pool and North Marsh.
Great Egret (~20) - various.
Turkey Vulture (~15) - various.
Northern Harrier (1) - Hellcat marsh.
Cooper's Hawk (1) - Pannes marsh.
Red-tailed Hawk (1) - North Marsh.
Semipalmated Plover (1) - BFP.
Stilt Sandpiper (1) - BFP.
Greater Yellowlegs (~35) - various.
Lesser Yellowlegs (3) - North Pool.
Sanderling (6) - parking lot #7 beach.
Dunlin (~50) - BFP.
Ring-billed Gull (3) - parking lot #7 beach.
Herring Gull - common.
Great Black-backed Gull (2)
Mourning Dove (1)
Peregrine Falcon (1) - Sandy Point.
Blue Jay (2) - S-curves.
American Crow (2) - North Marsh.
Tree Swallow (25) - flying south over south end of island.
American Robin (1)
Northern Mockingbird (2) - parking lot #7.
European Starling - common.
Song Sparrow (2)
American Goldfinch (1)

David Moon
Sanctuary Director
he/him/his
Joppa Flats Education Center
Mass Audubon
1 Plum Island Turnpike
Newburyport, MA 01950
978-462-9998
www.massaudubon.org/joppaflats<http://www.massaudubon.org/joppaflats>

You can't be suspicious of a tree, or accuse a bird or a squirrel of subversion or challenge the ideology of a violet. - Hal Borland

Mass Audubon: Protecting the Nature of Massachusetts. Please consider investing in the work of Joppa Flats by becoming a member<https://secure2.convio.net/mas/site/Donation2;jsessionid=00000000.app274b?df_id=4645&4645.donation=form1&NONCE_TOKEN=87DF451D09EB33BEFB7998B242B18605>. Thank you!

Join us on Facebook!