Date: 10/9/19 1:10 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Air Station Prairie, Lake Glenview & Techny North Wed 10-9-19
Hello Bird People,

Another close to home day to make up for the long ride I did on
Monday. Started at Air Station Prairie where the water is still too
high for shorebirds but I found a lot of sparrows. Next I substituted
Lake Glenview for Techny Basin where I haven't seen much lately &
finished up with Techny North where the mud flats are coming back
although no shorebirds were present except Killdeer. At Techny North
they have gone back in & cut all the vegetation that they left
standing after the 1st cutting but the growing season is pretty much
over & the seeds are left by the big mowers which allow the seeds to
fall to the ground.

Air Station Prairie (7:30-8:30 a.m.)

About 8 Canada Geese flew by, 8 Mallards were in the east pond &
Suzanne's Shoveler was swimming in the west pond although it
disappears in the reeds every so often. Warblers were Palm (2) &
Myrtles (3) & Sparrows were Savannah (1), Song (8), Swamp (3), White
Throated (1) & White Crowned (4). There were a few Red Wings &
Grackles & the best bird was a MARSH WREN.

Lake Glenview (8:35-9:45 a.m.)

No migrant ducks yet just 22 Mallards. There were 179 Canada Geese on
the lawns, 14 D.C. Cormorants on a log complex, 2 P.B, Grebes, 2 Great
Blue Herons & 1 Great Egret.
A Kingfisher flew by calling & among the land birds were Palm
Warblers, Song, White Throated & White Crowned Sparrows.

Techny North (10-10:30 a.m.)

D.C. Cormorant (4)
Great Blue Heron & Great Egret (1 each)
Canada Goose (4) & Mallard (11)
Red Tailed Hawk (1-IM)
Killdeer (21)
(Now that the mud flats are back maybe some other shorebirds will show up?)
Robins (2), Palm Warbler (1), Song Sparrow (1), Cardinal (1-M), Red
Wings (3) & Goldfinch
Highlight here was 2 singing Eastern Meadowlarks seen very well as
they were very close.

Fall singers today were Song Sparrow, White Throated Sparrow, Red
Winged Blackbird & the previously mentioned Eastern Meadowlarks.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the Marsh Wren & Runner-Up to the singing, very
yellow Meadowlarks.

Al Stokie
Another close to home day in Cook County

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: