Date: 10/9/19 11:08 am
From: <maxt...>
Subject: Binoculars
I have been in touch with KU about a young man in Nicaragua. He lost his
binoculars etc. I have had several persons that wanted to give money to buy
him another pair. The Kansas Ornithological Society is taking the money for
them and will purchase them and get them to him.

We are using this avenue since any money given to the KOS is tax deductible
since we are a 501(C3) organization. People can send money for this to:

Max Thompson

Treasurer

Kansas Ornithological Society

1729 E. 11th Ave

Winfield, KS 67156

OR you can go to the KOS website at Ksbirds.org, click on donate and it will
take you to PayPal and you can donate there. In any case, I will send you a
letter for tax purposes. Just let me know if you use PayPal. I hope to wrap
this up in a couple of weeks.

Below is a blurb about Alex:

"Alex Acosta is a guide and field biologist based out of Granada, Nicaragua.
His career in birding began when he served as a guide at the Volcan Mombacho
Cloud Forest Reserve, which abuts his home of Granada. As the years have
progressed, Alex has become one of the more well-respected and renowned
Nicaraguan birding guides, and has in recent years even served as a guide
for international birding tours. In addition, Alex has spent a significant
amount of time advancing ornithological research in Nicaragua by
participating at his local banding stations (also at Mombacho), volunteering
for Christmas Bird Counts and serving as a field biologist on several
expeditions across Nicaragua. Alex served as an integral member of two
KU-led expeditions to Nicaragua in 2016 and 2017. To supplement his income,
Alex works as a freelance guide, showing the international community the
incredible biodiversity that Nicaragua possesses. Unfortunately, business
has been hard to come by for Alex recently, as a political crisis that began
in the spring of 2018 has almost entirely halted a burgeoning tourism
industry. In addition, Alex lost his trusted binoculars recently to water
damage, thus hampering his ability to carry out his work to the best of his
abilities. His limited income at the moment has left him unable to replace
them.

Please help Alex get a pair of binoculars.

Thanks

Max

https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html
For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to