Date: 10/9/19 9:58 am
From: Harry Hooper <sn_egret...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] male scarlet tanager
Afternoon NFLBirders
We have been entertaining one to two female summer tanagers and one male summer tanager feeding on the grapes during the summer.  The two females are still present.  Additionally, on Sept. 22nd, an adult male scarlet tanager in non-breeding plumage and one adult and one first fall female scarlet tanagers in non-breeding plumage were at the birdbath.
Today, a male scarlet tanager in molting (?) plumage was feeding at the suet basket.  What caught our interest was that this bird was greenish with black wings with the exception of small red "splotches" on its breast, belly, and flanks.  Additionally, a small set of red splotches were on the shoulder part of the black wing.   The bird appeared as if it got into a fight with a brush. coated with red paint.  Have not seen this molting plumage before.
What is interesting is that with the exception of the Golden Guide and the Peterson Field Guide, this splotching plumage is not shown in other field guides.
Obtained several photos.  If interested, I will e-mail the photo(s) to those who are interested,
Harry HooperTallahassee, Florida

Join us on Facebook!