Date: 10/9/19 9:31 am
From: Catherine Temple <ctemple99...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Waterfowl arrivals
Though spared most of the snow around us, the L-C valley is wet, windy and
cold. Not so nice for people, but it has got the waterfowl on the move. On
my walk this morning at Hell's Gate SP (yes, I'm crazy to be walking in
it!) I noticed several large mixed flocks of waterfowl. Most were comprised
of mallards, widgeon and teal. A lone greater white-fronted goose was on
the swimming beach, but flew (or blew) across the river into Asotin county,
WA so I guess those that do county counts can record it for both places. A
quick check at Swallows Park had lots of mallards, widgeon, northern
pintails and a couple of lesser scaup. There were a couple of large flocks
of coots in the Snake River. Noticeably absent this morning were the usual
flocks of Canada geese. I wonder where they're hiding?

--

*Catherine Temple*

*Pet Portrait and Wildlife Artist*

*Clarkston, WA.(208) 791-7052*