Date: 10/9/19 7:54 am
From: Tommy Goodwin <tjgbp7...>
Subject: Re: Question about Nebraska
Mary,

There are several viewing areas between Grand Island and Kearney, NE. The
sandhills migrate through during most of March, but the week of the 25th
seems to be the peak for Sandhill Cranes and the following week is the most
likely week for rarities (Whooping, Common, etc) but the number of
Sandhills are significantly lower. The cranes congregate on the Platte
River as the sun sets and stay overnight as long as the water depth is
suitable (this year the water was deep and the cranes were displaced more
than usual, but it was still very impressive). It is most impressive
watching the cranes come in at night, but it is equally enjoyable watching
the cranes waking up at sunrise and flying off to the fields. We were there
3 nights and I believe my nightly counts were between 100k-300k cranes
every night. There is also a good Greater-Prairie Chicken lek about a half
hour north which gives you something to do in the area besides the cranes!
If you have any other specific questions I would be happy to answer them
off the list-serv (please direct message after this reply).

Thanks,
*Tommy J Goodwin Jr., M.Sc., P.E. *
417-241-9189 | <tjgbp7...>

On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 9:33 AM Mary McCarthy <
<000000bbb2ce0f37-dmarc-request...> wrote:

> Where and when do you go in Nebraska for Crane migration?
>
> Mary

> ABA Birding Code of Ethics
> http://www.aba.org/about/ethics.html

ABA Birding Code of Ethics