Date: 10/9/19 6:31 am
From: 'Michael Melius' <mmelius...> [sd-birds] <sd-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [sd-birds] New blue yard bird, Custer Co.

For the first time in recorded history, I had Eastern Bluebirds visit my place in NE Custer Co, yesterday after sunrise. I'd stepped out without binocs and soon saw birds on the fenceline that were too big for sparrows and too small for meadowlarks. I grabbed the spare binocs in my pickup and they immediately fogged up--sub-freezing--but the five birds called distinctly as they circled awhile then flew away. They may have been here for less than a minute.

As trees grow up here and at neighbors' places I am seeing more arboreal birds in my yard. Re-breasted Nuthatch was another new one, in Sept. I'm up to nine warbler species. It's odd that it's taken so long to have either bluebird species. Eastern's nest in the area and I do see Mountain's in spring migration, esp. near Spring Creek, just not at my little island of trees yet.

Michael Melius
Folsom

Join us on Facebook!