Date: 10/9/19 5:46 am
From: James Wilson <birdmanjfw...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Bird Bath Story ... not a happy ending
I have 3 water features for the birds and for anyone else that needs a
drink. One is the standard concrete bird bath. When I awoke on Saturday
morning, I noticed that it was laying upside down on the ground near its
stand. I figured that some animal had stopped by for a drink during the
night and knocked it off the pedestal. Saturday and Sunday were busy so it
was not until Monday morning when I got out the scrub brush and soap to
clean it up.

When I flipped it over I was startled (to put it mildly) to find a dead
possum. Somehow it had managed to flip the basin off the pedestal and get
trapped under it. I could not see that it had been crushed in any way and
there was evidence that it tried to dig out.

Most upsetting.

Jim Wilson
Queenstown