Date: 10/9/19 5:17 am
From: robert lane <ohiomagpie...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Mill Creek Wildlife Sanctuary 2019 Big Sit
This Sunday, October 13th, our twelve anniversary "Big Sit" will once again be held at The Mill Creek Wildlife Sanctuary observation deck in eastern Mahoning County. This years "Big Sit" will once again be dedicated to Jim Dolan, who passed away in July 2016. Jim, an avid outdoorsman, naturalist, and birder; initiated and captained our first "Big Sit" in 2008. His presence, contributions, and friendship are missed. To those not familiar with the "Big Sit", a registered trademark of the New Haven Bird Club Inc., it is sometimes referred to as a "Tailgate Party For Birders". Basically the object is to count as many species of birds you can see from a seventeen foot diameter circle during a twenty-four hour period. During each of the past seven years, our team has had the highest count of all of the registered participating circles in Ohio, with an average annual count of 69.3 species over the eleven year period. Mill Creek Wildlife Sanctuary is a 264 acre restricted access, permit required preserve, comprised of wetlands and wooded areas. Open to the general public is the observation deck, site of the "Big Sit". There have been a total of 250 species of birds recorded at The Sanctuary, with 200 recorded so far in 2019. The Big Sit is a scheduled event of Mill Creek Metroparks.

Bob Lane / Team Captain