Date: 10/9/19 3:30 am
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Detroit River Hawk Watch (08 Oct 2019) 2058 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 2058 23426 90779

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 16:30:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: Kevin Georg

Observers: Andrew Sturgess, Frank Kitakis, Mark Hainen, Rosemary Brady

Visitors:
We had some visitors today. Michelle was helpful in finding birds and
enjoyed seeing our first golden eagle. Hopefully we informed some new
casual visitors about the miracle of migration going on over their heads.

Weather:
It was a beautiful day in the office. A high dome of cerulean blue
surrounded by a low halo of cumulus clouds off in the distance provided the
view from the window. Gentle NE winds, going round to SE coming off the
lake, kept the sun's heat tempered. A very mellow day to enjoy the
migration.

Raptor Observations:
We had eleven species of birds today. Turkey vultures led the way with
1903. The accipiters were well represented with 84 Sharp-shins and 8
Cooper's hawks. Buteos finally found a wind they liked with 34 Red-tails,
10 red-shouldered, and 3 broad-winged hawks. Falcons were not entirely
forgotten with 4 kestrels and 1 merlin. 7 harriers made the trip and last,
but not least, 3 bald eagles and our first golden eagle of the year came
over, the golden nape of the GE shining bright in the sunshine.

Non-raptor Observations:
We had over 5K blue jays today but the winds may have moved them out of
sight for our location later in the day. Today was a day to be mindful that
the cast of players is changing and careful attention has to be paid to
each and every bird. Wing-beat cadences and shapes must be studied more
closely since there are more options now.

Predictions:
Tomorrow looks similar to today with a high barometer and winds starting in
the NE and moving round to the ESE. I think it might still be a little
early for huge numbers of buteos since they normally start in earnest in
the second week of October but the early birds that are anxious to leave
Canada may be on the move.
Report submitted by Jerry Jourdan (<jerry.jourdan...>)
Detroit River Hawk Watch information may be found at:
http://www.detroitriverhawkwatch.org

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=285
Count data submitted via Dunkadoo - Project info at:
https://dunkadoo.org/explore/detroit-river-international-wildlife-refuge/detroit-river-hawk-watch-fall-2019

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<7f376ca8ed29f13f7f65512c2496e5d8...>

Join us on Facebook!