Date: 10/9/19 2:12 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (08 Oct 2019) 46 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 46 210 1586

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Carol Majors, Hank Davis, Kelley Nunn, Ron Majors

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (5): Carol Majors, Ron Majors, Kelley Nunn, Hank Davis
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Cloudy-Mostly Cloudy (100-75% cloud cover), Ceiling - 7,100-4,700 ft.,
Visibility - 10 miles, Temps 57 - 66F, Winds NNE @ 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered
Hawk, 6-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (51) and Turkey Vultures (61).

<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-_; 2 yr.-_; 3 yr.-1; 4 yr.-_; adult-3
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
TODAY’S Bucktoe Bird Blog [‘BBB’]:
<BR><BR>
The sky was heavy with clouds from the overnight rain, but the wind was
from the north. So at least we had THAT going for us, which was nice.
[fans of Caddyshack will recognize the homage to the best movie scene EVER]
The walk around Bucktoe this morning was DEAD, however. Not a thing was
stirring; not a single migrant. YIKES! Carol & Ron showed up, walked
around, and had little more luck than I had.
<BR><BR>
Kelley was out briefly for lunch, spotting a distant Double-crested
Cormorant, for which she sought, and received, full-partial credit. Hank
joined us in hopes of some photo ops. It was about then that the sky
brightened a touch, resulting in an increase in accipiters. The flight was
good for a time.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Double-crested Cormorant, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, COMMON RAVEN,
White-crowned Sparrows, Savannah Sparrow, Swamp Sparrow, Magnolia Warbler,
Palm Warblers, and Rose-breasted Grosbeak
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (8): Monarch - 4, Cabbage White,
Clouded Sulphur, Pearl Crescent, Orange Sulphur, Common Checkered Skipper,
Buckeye, Variegated Fritillary. Dragonflies (0). Reptiles & Amphibians
(0). Mammals (2): Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
numbers at the site for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 6.63; Steps:
15,544; Floors: 17.
<BR><BR>
that.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 53; this season:
121
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (1):”
Double-crested Cormorant.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like a washout with rain, heavy at times.
<BR><BR>
for the “Nighthawk Watch.”

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek