Date: 10/8/19 8:39 pm
From: DEBRA SHEARWATER <debiluv...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] OCT. 5, 2019 PELAGIC TRIP REPORT: NAZCA BOOBY
Howdy, MBB Birders,

Shearwater Journeys’ October 5, 2019 pelagic trip had several highlights, including a NAZCA BOOBY (photos), spotted by out-of-state birders, Dave and Tammy McQuade. This booby was in Santa Cruz County! It didn’t stick around at all, just flying up the side of the boat, and straight on to wherever it was headed!

We saw most of the regular fall seabirds: Black-footed Albatross; Northern Fulmar; Pink-footed, Buller’s, and Sooty Shearwaters; South Polar Skua and Pomarine Jaeger; Sabine’s Gull; Common Murre; Pigeon Guillemot; Cassin’s and Rhinoceros Auklets and the Peregrine Falcon on the radio tower along Cannery Row.

A BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKE and TUFTED PUFFIN were surprises, both in Santa Cruz County. No storm-petrels at all were found.

Marine mammals were pretty exciting with an albino Risso’s dolphin just outside of the harbor; one blue whale, and about a dozen humpback whales were found. Northern right whale dolphins and Pacific white-sided dolphins rounded out the cetaceans for the day.

Many thanks to the birders who from near and far who joined us on this pelagic trip. The leaders on this date were: Jim Holmes, Alex Rinkert, Marcel Holyoak, and Debi Shearwater.

We still have a couple spaces open on our next Monterey trip, Friday, October 11. Also, two birders have had an emergency and had to cancel the last trip of the season, Sunday, October 20. If you are interested in either trip, please email me: <debi...> <mailto:<debi...>.

Living the Salt Life,
Debi Shearwater

DEBRA SHEARWATER
Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
PO Box 190
Hollister, CA 95024
831.637.8527
<debi...>
www.shearwaterjourneys.com
www.shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com

Celebrating 44 Years of Seabirding with Shearwater Journeys
Siberia’s Forgotten Coast & Spoon-billed Sandpiper- 23 June - 6 July 2020
Northeast Passage: Northern Sea Route 27 July - 22 August 2020