Date: 10/8/19 4:20 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Holiday Beach Hawk Watch (08 Oct 2019) 1660 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 4
Swainson's Hawk 0 0 1

Total: 1660 21451 51506

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter: Maryse Gagné

Observers: Elizabeth Kent, Hugh Kent, Rick Brown

Visitors:
Thank you to Anne and Ron Simpson from Virginia, Jim McCoy, Rick Brown and
Neil for their help today

Weather:
Our day started with a cool morning and northern winds and a very blue sky.
By the afternoon, the winds had changed directions to the South and almost
completely stopped blowing as the day warmed.

Raptor Observations:
Today was all about the Turkey Vultures, forming kettles very far North of
the tower. By the end of the day we had counted over 1,500 Turkey Vultures!
We are noticing more hawks flying past us, notably Red-shouldered Hawks,
Cooper's Hawks and the last few Broad-winged Hawks of the season.
As usual Sharp-shinned Hawks made their appearance as well as a few
Kestrels.

Non-raptor Observations:
The sky was full today! Blue Jays started strong ans stayed strong all day
and we ended the day with... 55,020 Blue Jays! Big round of applause to Liz
Kent and her mighty clicker for counting the majority of them!
We also counted many Red-winged Blackbirds, Starlings, Cedar Waxwings and
Goldfinches.
Duck diversity has increased with new species such as Lesser Scaup, Redhead
Ducks, Ring-necked Ducks and Ruddy Ducks.
Other highlights included 46 Chimney Swifts and 17 Black-bellied Plovers.

Red-winged Blackbirds: 844
Starlings: 1,900
Cedar Waxwing: 179
American Goldfinch: 324
Yellow-rumped Warbler: 18
Monarch butterfly: 26

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S60464633

Predictions:
Tomorrow we are expecting a beautiful day with some North-East winds in the
morning. After that, the winds will shift to the East and South-East.
Hopefully, the Turkey Vultures will venture closer to tower and we'll keep
seeing Red-tail and Red-shouldered Hawks coming towards us.
Report submitted by Maryse Gagné (<maryse.gagne35...>)
http://hbmo.ca/

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=100

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<ac70f7640cb4b9f87dc0b399030d4a58...>